NEED HELP!! High CYA, unstabalized chlorine??

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
buck_dizzle
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground pool
88,700 Litres
Vinyl Liner
Hayward Filter/Pump

NEED HELP!! High CYA, unstabalized chlorine??

Postby buck_dizzle » Mon 19 Jul, 2021 18:48

Hey there I purchased a new home that has a 16x32 in-ground pool. I had a pool company open the pool for me (actually my fiance did as a present...which back fired because I had lots of questions for the company). So when they opened the pool within a few days my stabalizer level was great (I am assuming they added stabalizer). My test strips showed my stabalizer between 30-50ppm. I had a family friend come over and tell me her rule of thumb was to always keep 2 pucks in the skimmer. So the very first thing I did was add alkalinity to get it where I wanted, then planned on getting PH balanced. I over shot with the alkalinity so i spent some time getting that back to where it needed to be. All the mean while I was keeping 2 pucks in the skimmer. Well out of nowhere I noticed my stabalizer level was at 150! I did some research and realized that I was adding stabalized chlorine which was increasing my staballzer level. I have been draining then refilling bit by bit and my level is back down closer to 100 so I am getting there. I also switched to unstabalized chlorine. My question is...with your stabalizer level where you want it to be (between 30-50ppm), is your best bet to add stabalized pucks until your stabalizer level gets outside of that range, then stick to unstabalized. In other words, how long can you add stabalized chlorine before it becomes more of a problem than a saviour? From what I read it doesnt dissolve so I dont see how to maintain it. Everything I have read tells me that stabalized chlorine is the easiest way to maintain a pool...I just dont see how you can maintain it without driving your stabalizer levels too high??? Advice??? Sorry for the lonnnnng message!

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: NEED HELP!! High CYA, unstabalized chlorine??

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 25 Jul, 2021 16:39

Simply stop using stabilised chlorine when you reach a good level around 30-50ppm
Dont listen to stupid advice about 2 pucks in the skimmer as these are VERY acidic and will attack the skimmer and pump and pipework when the water isnt flowing eg when the pump is switched off.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: NEED HELP!! High CYA, unstabalized chlorine??

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 26 Jul, 2021 01:57

Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
Use pucks when you have to go away then check your CYA

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”