Dirt on bottom of pool?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
mike laforge

Dirt on bottom of pool?

Postby mike laforge » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 09:57

I am a new pool owner. We have a 18 x 36 inground liner pool. It was in rough shape when we bought the house but have managed to get the water crystal clear and well balanced. HOWEVER, there is a persistent black very fine dirt that settles to the bottom every day. It is very fine and if you hit it too quickly with a vacuum, it disperses into the water. There seems to be a slight greenish tint to it so I am thinking it is algae. Can someone lead me in the right direction to diagnose what this is and to get rid of it? Everything I read that discusses Algae suggests the water would be cloudy or green and our water is about as clear as any I have ever seen.

Thanks so much

thepoolzone
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: My pool is 18 X 36 inground, vinyl. I have a sand filter that I recently replaced with glass media. Sparkling clear and about 80 degrees today!

Dirt on bottom of pool?

Postby thepoolzone » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 23:18

Is this DE or sand from your filter? Or, is this the type of sound found around your home? Could the wind be blowing it in or off nearby trees?

If not, it must be algae. Just use an extra dose of algaecide and/or check your chlorine levels to be sure your pool is not a good place for algae to grow!

Good Luck!
The Pool Girl!
www.thepoolzone.com
mikelaforge
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground Liner. 18 x 36

Dirt on bottom of pool?

Postby mikelaforge » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 09:52

Thanks for the reply.
It is a sand filter.
I assumed it was alagae as well. I used a floculant in hopes that it would bind it together so that it could be vacuumed efficiently. However, it still flys away from the vacuum head or flys around the pool after the filter starts running.
Very frustrating!
would appreciate any other suggestions. I am thinking the only way to get rid of it is to vacuum with the filter set to waste so that it reduces the amount of motion in the pool?
frustratedinNC
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 8-9 feet deep, around 20,000 gallons, sand filter, vinyl liner

Dirt on bottom of pool?

Postby frustratedinNC » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 07:04

Yes...vacuum to waste. Just make sure you have water going into the pool at the same time so you don't lose water level. (Hope it works for you) Also, vacuum slowly so you don't stir it up. I have also been told to close the main drain, but I don't know how to tell you how to do that. If you find out, would you share that info?? Good luck!

Just so you know, I tell you to vacuum to waste just because you said you used a Flocculant. If you don't vacuum to waste, you are sending the same dirt back to the filter and it will go back into your pool.

If anyone else out there disagrees, please let me know. I'm just telling you what my pool person said to do. I'm learning this as I go along, too. :)
mikelaforge
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground Liner. 18 x 36

Dirt on bottom of pool?

Postby mikelaforge » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:18

Great advice! I was vacuuming (yet again) this morning and said to my wife that it appears the flocculant and black mess is just coming back into the pool. I have not vacuumed to waste yet. but will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”