Pool help

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
JayinFlorida

Pool help

Postby JayinFlorida » Sun 10 Jul, 2011 16:21

Today we were cleaning out the dome filter on our Pentair FNS Plus unit and for the first time in 3 years my dad took tried taking the drain plug out from the bottom. Well the drain plug snapped and left the groove side still in the bottom so now there is an open hole on the bottom of the filter. I was wondering if anyone would know how to get this out of there without damaging the tank of the filter. Would prying it off with a screwdriver destroy the grooves? It is at the bottom of the tank which is only 3 inches off the ground so i would have to break the seal on the connecting pipes to actually get a good angle at this damaged drain plug.
Unit
Pentair FNS Plus Fiberglass Reinforced Polypropylene Material, Vertical Grid, D.E.

cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Pool help

Postby cpo2go » Wed 20 Jul, 2011 02:07

There are tools available from specialty pool tool suppliers but I'm not sure that's your best bet. Hopefully you won't need it more than once. You can try a tennis ball if there are jagged edges that can grip the fuzz on the ball. If you haven't opened it in 3 years, it won't be easy to loosen but, it should come. If not, you can chip away the old plug but do it Very carefully and work going Away from the grooves. take the top off, remove the grids and unscrew the connectors from the in/out ports and it shouldn't be too bad.
First, order a new drain plug and o-ring. The new ones are much better than the old ones anyway.
Also, I recommend doing a complete teardown and cleaning every Spring and Fall. It helps in all kinds of ways and if you do it often, it's not that bad. Also, backwash as needed but don't replace more than 1 scoop of DE each time. People use way too much and this causes filtration problems.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”