Can I backwash and add new DE if my skimmer isnt sucking?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
vanichol
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Hayword 1.5 HP pump and DE Filter

Postby vanichol » Thu 28 Jun, 2012 21:40

I purchased my home a few years ago that came with my 20ish year old pool. I know absolutely nothing about pools and have had no issues until recently. I know I have a DE filter and I know there is one hole in my skimmer, but I don't know much more than that.

I have a kreepy krauly to keep it vaccumed and noticed that my kreepy has stopped working. I unplugged the creepy, but still no pressure.

When the skimmer is on I have 0 pressure, when I turn off the skimmer and just run the main drain, pressue is at about 25. My pressure used to stay in the 10 - 15 range. I want to try to backwash my filter but am afraid if I do and my skimmer doesn't start working, I will not be able to add DE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Thu 28 Jun, 2012 23:54

You can cheat. :wink:

Backwash the filter, shut your pump off, take apart the filter tank. Drain the dirty water as best you can, then make sure the tank will hold water again for the next step. Pour some DE into an empty bucket of water and mix it until you get white water, pour the DE into the filter tank. Reassemble the filter tank. You're ready to go.

If you're not sure how to take apart the filter tank, this is a general guide video found on YouTube. Though is is a cartridge filter, the disassembly/reassembly is identical is very similar. Watch it first so you can get the gist of how it all comes apart and goes together.

( the company in this video is NOT me, I'm not endorsing them in any way, they could be real shady characters or good characters for all I know - however the steps to work on the filter as shown are an accurate demonstration)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXBPCuK6aQA

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”