How to turn filter on

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.

How to turn filter on

Postby Guest » Sun 08 Jul, 2012 08:18

I know nothing about pools so this is probably a stupid question but how do you turn a pool filter on? My dad is away (internationally so I can't reach him) and he said to run the filter every day. He said there was a switch but I can't find anything other than 2 handles. One is on the big tall round barrel looking thing. The handle on the top is turned to "filter" the other options are: recirculate, waste, closed, rinse, backwash. It is a Hayward Vari-Pro valve filter. This is attached to a Hayward Power-Flo LX, which is attached to another handle that that is blue and can be turned to 3 open positions and one closed position, all of which are written in yellow. This part has a few hoses connected to it, one of which goes to the cylindrical white plastic thing attached to the side of the pool (above ground). Help!

another pool user

How to turn filter on

Postby another pool user » Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:07

I cannot claim to be any kind of pool expert, but my pump looks a lot like the one you listed (looked up pic). As a newbie owner last year, it took me a while to find that the pump turns on via a flip switch on the underside of the canister portion of the pump (looks like a can on its side).

You may have already found it, but I figured answering couldnt hurt. Good luck!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”