Need help figuring out our heater and filter system

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
jmd79
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Large pool and spa that are filtered and heated together. New home owners, and have no clue what we're doing!

Postby jmd79 » Fri 20 Jul, 2012 13:24

Hello! We moved into our house last year, and have been thoroughly enjoying our inground pool and spa. They are both run on the same heater and filtering system. We had a problem with our heater, and the furnace people came out and serviced it. While they were here, I think they turned a lever that directs the flow of the water leaving the heater, returning to the pool and spa. We can't figure out how to get the water levels equal between the pool and spa, and there are air bubbles coming from the jets now. I've turned the filtering unit off, but before we have to pay for another service call, I was wondering if y'all could help us figure this out. There is a single PVC pipe that leaves the heater, which is then split into two pipes, with a lever that directs the flow of water. The pipe coming off of the left side is then split into two pipes, again with a lever that directs the flow of water. I am assuming that the first split directs the water to the pool and the spa (this was based upon turning it and feeling the water coming out of the jets in the pool and spa). Beyond that, we can't figure out which way the levers need to be turned so that we are getting the right flow of water going back to the pool and spa. Any ideas? Would a picture help? Thanks in advance!!!!

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Sat 21 Jul, 2012 00:46

Well, what you want to do is go to that first valve coming off the heater, like in this picture;
http://i48.tinypic.com/330e45f.jpg

The first thing you need to find out is which one is the spa and which one is the pool. With the pump running, turn that first valve coming off the heater so one pipe is closed off. What you are looking for now is to see if the spa is filling up quickly. If you don't see the spa doing anything, then go back and turn the valve the other way and close off the other pipe. You should see the spa going crazy filling up with water.
Once you figure out which one is the spa, the next thing you want to do is turn the valve so the spa gets a little bit of flow going, as seen in the picture. Not sure what your spa looks like, maybe it has a nice little spill way into the pool or not, but you want to get just a small run of water spilling out of the spa for normal filtration. So you gotta turn that valve sorta cock-eye'd as seen in the picture, to get the right balance.

My best guess about that other valve with that second pair of pipes coming out would be the pool return. Typically, pool builders make one pipe the pool return and the other pipe either a pool sweep or water fountain feature. The spa almost always gets one pipe to itself, but I could be wrong on that. Never know what builders are thinking these days, that's why you gotta turn the valves to find out for sure. Hope this helps.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”