Pool wall fitting shooting out water instead of sucking it in

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
mflagge
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: gunite inground pool

Pool wall fitting shooting out water instead of sucking it in

Postby mflagge » Thu 11 May, 2017 19:31

I am a new pool owner and just opened our inground gunite pool last week. We have a polaris filter from the previous owner. There was a lot of algae on the bottom, and the polaris seems to be broken, so we bought a cheaper hand vacuum. When I tried to install it, I noticed that the wall fitting where the polaris was connected to was shooting water out and not sucking water in. I then checked the skimmer, and the suction was pretty weak. We have a DE filter, which I have been backwashing and keeping about 10psi. What am I doing wrong? First question, should the wall fitting be sucking water in or pushing it out? Why is the suction bad in the skimmer? Is this something simple that I am missing?

Thanks so much

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool wall fitting shooting out water instead of sucking it in

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 12 May, 2017 13:56

The vacuuming line should suck in water
The suction in the skimmmer should be quiet powerfull, do you have a main drain which may be connected by a divertor valve to share between skimmer and main drain
What are you returns like
There could be a blockage probably in your pump
MP123
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Pool wall fitting shooting out water instead of sucking it in

Postby MP123 » Mon 29 May, 2017 05:45

Perhaps your side wall line is set up for a pressure style vacuum and not a suction style vacuum. You said there was an old polaris cleaner there and those usually are pressure style cleaners.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”