how to vacuum - dumb question!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
pool_girl
I'm new here
I'm new here

how to vacuum - dumb question!

Postby pool_girl » Fri 23 Feb, 2007 08:50

I inherited a (10 year old +) pool with our new (old) home and with the help of Leslies have figured out how to maintain the chemicals, filter etc. But I've never hooked up the vacuum and haven't a clue how to do it. I assume I hook it up to the hole where the Polaris runs, but then what? Do I set the filter on backwash mode?? Any tips I should know before I make the first attempt?? Thanks!

pool_girl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby pool_girl » Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:57

Disregard - I went to Leslie's again and the guy there described what I need to do. Go figure!
Pool Owner
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Pool Owner » Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:36

I’m glad to hear they were able to answer your question. The staff at my local Leslie’s do an okay job but when I can get the manager he is very helpful and knowledgeable.

Since you are new to owning a pool, I recommend you invest about $30 into getting a good reference pool book. Check your local library for books on the subject of pool maintenance/construction to see if there is one you like. I have a short review of a few books on my blog (noted below). While it is very large, I think you will find “The Ultimate Pool Maintenance Manual” a good choice. Since it is almost 700 pages, you need to use it like these pool bulletin boards, search for the information you need and only read the part that covers your problem. The second edition will probably provide the information you need, so look for discounts as the third edition is expected to be released during March.
Pool Owner
Orange County, CA, USA
poolforum(dot)blogspot(dot)com
pool_girl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby pool_girl » Fri 02 Mar, 2007 19:57

hanks so much, poolowner - great advice. I'll visit your blog as well.
jandh18
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jandh18 » Fri 16 Mar, 2007 22:22

I am trying to figure out the same thing.. our pool is also probably near 10 years old. We just bought our house.. and the house is 10 years old itself.. so. We are trying to figure out how to get the hose to the vacuum into the skimmer hole.. but it doesn't fit. We are so lost. I did post a whole thread about our situation on the opening, closing and winterizing board. More about it that is. We really don't understand how to use the vacuum either.
vIV

Easier way..

Postby vIV » Sun 13 May, 2007 19:57

If you are willing to invest a moderate amount ot money there is an easier way! No more hoses! We recently bought a commercial grade Pool Buster and we love it. It was 319.00 and uses a rechargeable battery. It lasts and lasts and connects right onto your pool skimmer pole (or if you are in the pool you can use it by the handle). It picks up everything and "polishes" the water. We bought the 10 micron extra fine filter and it really filters out everything (all without going through the main filter). The regular Pool Buster is 199.00 and I hear it is great, also. Google it and take a look! I read all kinds of great reviews on it before we purchased it.
Viv

forgot...

Postby Viv » Sun 13 May, 2007 20:12

Forgot to add that the vacuum above does all this cleaning withut going through the main filter so it saves wear and tear on that, too!
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 13 May, 2007 23:42

jandh18 - I bought an older home with an old pool. What I did, was call the pool builder that built the pool. They came out and told me everything I needed to know and of course gave me estimates on replacing some of the older equipment. No charge for their service.

I was lucky, the pool builder embedded their logo plate at the edge of my deck and also was lucky they are still in business.

viv - I just ordered a PoolBuster this weekend. It's good to hear you like yours so much.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”