Air in one return line

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Jeff
I'm new here
I'm new here

Air in one return line

Postby Jeff » Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:41

I am a new pool owner. The previous owners showed us how to maintain the pool and we have done as they instructed. I am finding that shortly (1 hr) after vaccuming the pool of the fine silt the silt is back on the bottom. I vaccum and flush and rinse, but still the same problem. I have two return lines, one of which pumps air back into pool along with the water; the other does not, just water. My question is could I have a crack in the return line that pumps air (after the biforcation) letting in air and dirt? Or is this just typical for this time of year with the dust etc. for the southern US. The air? Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks,
Jeff

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Tue 10 Apr, 2007 17:11

Try vacuuming the fine silt to waste and topping up the pool after and see if you have the same issue.

HTH
Jeff
I'm new here
I'm new here

Dirt and Air

Postby Jeff » Wed 11 Apr, 2007 08:11

Thanks Dynamictiger, I vacuumed to waste yesterday afternoon and it looked good last night, however this morning the dirt was back, maybe not as much and not as quickly, but it was back. It does not make the water look dirty, it just settles into the texture on the bottom. The previous owners say they replaced the filter and sand last year. Could this need some attention again? And I'm still a little concerned about the air coming from one of the return lines and not the other.
Thanks,
Jeff
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Wed 11 Apr, 2007 16:10

The fine dust is either blowing in from outside somewhere or still coming through from the filter. You may need to vacuum to waste several times.

I am not as concerned about teh air. Is it constant? Is there any air in the pump lint pot?
Jeff
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Jeff » Wed 11 Apr, 2007 18:08

Thanks again. I'll watch it and vacuum to waste the next few times. I can see the water in the lint pot swirlling and it does appear to have a very little bit of air in the swirls, but wouldn't it come out both jets? I am going to check the gasket on the lid and try to strain the water at the jets with some of the wife's stockings.
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Jeff » Thu 12 Apr, 2007 11:37

Well, I reprimed the pump and the air is gone. Then I strained the jet water with a stocking and the dirt was obvious. The dirt is coming from the filter I guess. I talked to the previous owner yesterday and he said the sand and the lateral lines were new last year. This is not sand as much as it seems to be much finer and darker. Could the filter be that dirty? The pool guy said the filter should not need attention for two to three years. The pool guy also said (without looking at it) that it may be algae and to pour some algaecyde in the pool. Now I have a pretty white foam on the pool. Will this go away? or do I need to do something?

Thanks,
Jeff

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”