Need help Identifying my pool system (PICS INSIDE)

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
DSMKilla
I'm new here
I'm new here

Need help Identifying my pool system (PICS INSIDE)

Postby DSMKilla » Tue 01 May, 2007 12:58

I am going to take over my pool maintenance and have read up quite a bit on what to do as far as daily, weekly maintenance etc. I am having some problems identifying the components in the system though and need some help. If someone could take a look at the pics below you will see that the items I need help with are numbered. I am also confused on which way the valves that are numbered 1,2,3,7 are supposed to be for normal functions and also for backwashing purposes. Any help would be appreciated.

[url]
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261 ... /pool1.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261 ... /pool2.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261 ... /pool3.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261 ... /pool4.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261 ... /pool5.jpg
[/url]♦

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Tue 01 May, 2007 18:00

If my lads installed like this I would sack them. But anyway, this is what you have:

1 and 2 are return line to pool. The two valves are there to control the amount of water going to the pool at whatever points they go to. To test which goes where, open one fully and close the other fully watch your pressure gauge to make sure it doesn't rocket up, then go and look see where the water is coming from.

3: Same as 1 and 2 on the suction line to the pump. One suction line normally goes to a sump and the other to the skimmer.

4 is the pump. The clear lid thing is your hair and lint basket.

5 is a blower. It provides air to your spa?

6 is a cartridge filter

7 I am at a bit of a loss on this. If you are running water to your spa does this suck air in?

HTH
chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Tue 01 May, 2007 18:29

#7 looks like a fill line to your pool (turn it on to fill your pool)
chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Tue 01 May, 2007 18:34

BTW, expect many problems in the future with this equipment...........Go get an American Home Shield insurance policy. If I came to this pool..... I'd recommend replacing everything, maybe the heater if it is salvageable.

Postby Guest » Tue 01 May, 2007 19:59

HAHA well I appreciate the constructive criticism but unfortunately everything was already installed when I moved into the house so I am stuck with it for now until I am more comfortable on how this stuff works, then I will go from there.

I figured out that #7 is definitely the water fill for the pool, and #6 is a cartridge filter like you said. I will check on how #1 and #2 works tomorrow.

Right now the pool is in pretty bad shape, well to me anyways. I am told that it hasn't been maintained for about a month. See picture below.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to get the pool stable again? Any good write-ups out there? I have checked out a few write-ups but it would be nice to hear from people who can actually see what I am working with and can help point me in a better direction. I spoke with a pool man and he said that it would be about $200 to get the pool back to normal again and the $95 a month to maintain it. :? I am thinking that I might just pay him to get the pool up and running again but then just do the monthly maintenance myself. About how much would it run me per month in supplies to do the maintenance myself?

Thanks for your time guys and sorry for all the questions, I figure I got a couple of people who know their stuff so I better take advantage now :D

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w261/DSMKilla1/pool6.jpg

Postby Guest » Wed 09 May, 2007 15:27

Anonymous wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to get the pool stable again? Any good write-ups out there? I have checked out a few write-ups but it would be nice to hear from people who can actually see what I am working with and can help point me in a better direction. I spoke with a pool man and he said that it would be about $200 to get the pool back to normal again and the $95 a month to maintain it. :? I am thinking that I might just pay him to get the pool up and running again but then just do the monthly maintenance myself. About how much would it run me per month in supplies to do the maintenance myself?

Thanks for your time guys and sorry for all the questions, I figure I got a couple of people who know their stuff so I better take advantage now :D

Go buy yourself 10 or gallon jugs of bleach.. Start up the fliter and let run for 24 hours for a good few days. Dump in that bleach and you should start to see that puppy clean up in no time. Mine looked about that bad when I started up the pool this summer.. Put in 2 bottles to start and let filter 24 hours for two days and was cloudy blue.. Put in 2 more bottles and let run for 2 more days and was nice and clear.

Get yourself a test kit. once your pool is nice and clear you should check out some of the posts in the cholorine section to see how best to maintain it.

$95 a week is a bit steep for weekly maint. Most company's here in the Minneapolis area are $37 a week.

Postby Guest » Wed 09 May, 2007 15:33

Anonymous wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to get the pool stable again? Any good write-ups out there? I have checked out a few write-ups but it would be nice to hear from people who can actually see what I am working with and can help point me in a better direction. I spoke with a pool man and he said that it would be about $200 to get the pool back to normal again and the $95 a month to maintain it. :? I am thinking that I might just pay him to get the pool up and running again but then just do the monthly maintenance myself. About how much would it run me per month in supplies to do the maintenance myself?

Go buy yourself 10 or gallon jugs of bleach.. Start up the fliter and let run for 24 hours for a good few days. Dump in that bleach and you should start to see that puppy clean up in no time. Mine looked about that bad when I started up the pool this summer.. Put in 2 bottles to start and let filter 24 hours for two days and was cloudy blue.. Put in 2 more bottles and let run for 2 more days and was nice and clear.

Get yourself a test kit. once your pool is nice and clear you should check out some of the posts in the cholorine section to see how best to maintain it.

$95 a week is a bit steep for weekly maint. Most company's here in the Minneapolis area are $37 a week.
chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Thu 10 May, 2007 19:19

Go get a product call Yellow Out made by Coral Seas, your pool store should have this. Follow the directions and run the pump 24/7. Your pool pool will be night and day by the following day!
chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Thu 10 May, 2007 19:20

$200 is a good price for your problem and we start at 149/mo for weekly service, but areas are different.

Postby Guest » Fri 11 May, 2007 15:56

Thanks for the replys. I didn't really know what to do and I couldn't wait any longer so I ended up telling the guy to clean the pool and then I am just going to take over maintenance after he is done.

Basically this is what he did when he came. He cleaned out all 4 of the cartridges in the filter, filled the pool up to the proper level, used a can of green algaecide, used a couple things of shocker, dumped in like 2 gallons of liquid chlorine, and put like 3 chlorine pellets in the pool floater.

He came back like 2 days after that, cleaned out the filters again, put in more chlorine and pool shock, and thats about it so far I believe.

All that sound about right?

Postby Guest » Sat 12 May, 2007 13:08

Anonymous wrote:Thanks for the replys. I didn't really know what to do and I couldn't wait any longer so I ended up telling the guy to clean the pool and then I am just going to take over maintenance after he is done.

Basically this is what he did when he came. He cleaned out all 4 of the cartridges in the filter, filled the pool up to the proper level, used a can of green algaecide, used a couple things of shocker, dumped in like 2 gallons of liquid chlorine, and put like 3 chlorine pellets in the pool floater.

He came back like 2 days after that, cleaned out the filters again, put in more chlorine and pool shock, and thats about it so far I believe.

All that sound about right?

yep sounds like you got a good guy on your side.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”