switching from baquacil to chlorine.....

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
mjohnson
I'm new here
I'm new here

switching from baquacil to chlorine.....

Postby mjohnson » Mon 07 May, 2007 21:12

Hello,

I really need help. My husband and I have bought a home with a 27' round above ground pool. (we have never had a pool before and are learning as we go) Previous owner used baquacil but we would like to change to chlorine. Previous owner also did not drain the sand filter so it has a crack in it. I have purchased a new sand filter but I don't know if I need to drain the pool water and just add new water but I have heard that, that can ruin my vinyl liner? I also heard that if you are converting from baquacil to chlorine you must replace the sand in your filter but since I have a new sand filter that hasn't been used I don't know where to start. I am so confused and I don't want to use the new filter if the water still has the baquacil in it then I have to replace the sand before ever really getting a chance to use it. I guess I just really need some help on how to get started. If there is anyone that can help and shed some light I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much in advance. :)
chelle

fortmed

Subject: switching from baquacil to chlorine

Postby fortmed » Tue 08 May, 2007 12:25

you cant switch to chlorine unless you drain and start fresh ...
tm

Re: switching from baquacil to chlorine.....

Postby tm » Thu 10 May, 2007 21:25

mjohnson wrote:Hello,

I really need help. My husband and I have bought a home with a 27' round above ground pool. (we have never had a pool before and are learning as we go) Previous owner used baquacil but we would like to change to chlorine. Previous owner also did not drain the sand filter so it has a crack in it. I have purchased a new sand filter but I don't know if I need to drain the pool water and just add new water but I have heard that, that can ruin my vinyl liner? I also heard that if you are converting from baquacil to chlorine you must replace the sand in your filter but since I have a new sand filter that hasn't been used I don't know where to start. I am so confused and I don't want to use the new filter if the water still has the baquacil in it then I have to replace the sand before ever really getting a chance to use it. I guess I just really need some help on how to get started. If there is anyone that can help and shed some light I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much in advance. :)
chelle

You can switch without draining. I did it with my pool. You will experience some very ugly brown water at first but you can do it. I got help from a pool store, they were very helpful.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”