Gunite Pool does not have a hydrostatic relief value

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
caseembry
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 36x17 gunite pool with spa and overflow

Gunite Pool does not have a hydrostatic relief value

Postby caseembry » Fri 09 Jul, 2021 13:23

We just had a gunite pool installed and have had several issues. We had to hire a leak detection service to determine why the pool was losing water and one of the things he noticed was that the pool seemed to lack a hydrostatic relief valve. He checked both main drains in the pool for leaks, and there was no additional pipe with the valve under either main drain cover. While this is not related to the leak, I'm obviously worried about this as a potential problem in the future. So, I have a few questions that I'm hoping I can get some guidance on. (We have had a falling out with the pool builders, so I don't expect any help from them)

1. Is there a chance that the relief valve could be located inside the main drain pipe or elsewhere? There is nothing else visible on the bottom of the pool.

2. If we do not have a valve, is it possible to install one now? Are there any alternatives to a valve that would help with preventing the pool from floating?

3. How risky is it if there is no valve? Is a gunite pool "floating" something that is generally rare as long as the pool is full?

Thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Gunite Pool does not have a hydrostatic relief value

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 10 Jul, 2021 10:45

A full pool will never float regardless of it's construction and only when empty if their is sufficient groundwater
Hydrostatic relief valves are normally fitted to the main drain sump under the main drain cover
https://localpoolrenovations.com.au/information/66-hydro-valve
A sump with a manhole down to the depth of the pool that can be pumped out would reduce groundwater

I hope the above helps

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”