Pump/skimmer question

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
nickbartolone
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground pool, 24,000g

Pump/skimmer question

Postby nickbartolone » Fri 03 Jun, 2022 21:59

Hi All,

Totally new to maintaining pools and looking for some assistance. We just purchased a new home and had the pool opened two days ago. Everything seemed to work good according to the company opening the pool. We have a Hayward Perflex DE filter. I notice that when the pump first turns on, we get great flow out of the returns; however, the flow begins to subside about 30 minutes in (as well as the suction from the skimmers). I took apart the filter and washed out all the fingers (and added more DE).The filter seems to be running at 20psi and I haven’t seen it flucuate at all. Any idea why this may be happening? Is this normal? Thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pump/skimmer question

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 05 Jun, 2022 15:45

The filter is getting clogged, can you backwash?

Let's have your numbers (CYA is very important) Use a pool store if you don't have a FAS/DPD kit
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Pump/skimmer question

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 05 Jun, 2022 16:21

DE is a fine filter media so its just doing its job. Personally I dont like DE, it's expensive, mucky, and the free silica is nasty. If you have a mind to change it when you have had enough of the hassle and expense then a sand filter with Dryden Aqua's AFM ng would be a great step, no need to change the media for the life of the pool, easy to backwash clean, filters as fine as the best DE and you can use flocculent so finer than DE as you cant use flocculent with DE.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”