Seeking help for chronic pool issues

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Seeking help for chronic pool issues

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 05 Nov, 2022 09:07

Missed that

JCINAZ
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 17k round, Variable speed pump, Cartridge filter

Postby JCINAZ » Sun 06 Nov, 2022 15:27

Teapot1 wrote: If you can get the calcium hardness and temperature with the free chlorine level info we can be a bit more precise.

Here are my latest results with temp and CH added:

pH: 7.2
TA: 120
CYA: Under 30
CH: 210
Temp: 15.5C

To be accurate my pool is oval shaped, not exactly round.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 06 Nov, 2022 16:02

Thank you for the numbers, yes move your pH up the 7.5 by aerating the water is my recommendation, it will balance the water to near perfect from a calcium not aggressive not scaling point. As you increase the free chlorine a bit the pH will rise as it quite alkaline but your tabs are a little acidic.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
JCINAZ
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby JCINAZ » Sun 06 Nov, 2022 20:10

Teapot1 wrote:Thank you for the numbers, yes move your pH up the 7.5 by aerating the water is my recommendation, it will balance the water to near perfect from a calcium not aggressive not scaling point. As you increase the free chlorine a bit the pH will rise as it quite alkaline but your tabs are a little acidic.

I failed to get the free chlorine number before it got dark. I will check that tomorrow.

Regarding aeration, I pointed one of the two jets up and it resulted in mild splashing of water and turned on the pump to run overnight. How long should I have to aerate to raise the PH from 7.2 to 7.5?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 07 Nov, 2022 04:28

I don't think it will be that quick as other methods. Point the other one up as well, test daily
I use a a large pond aerator with 4 large air stones in the deep end which is really efficient
Another type of Aerator
JCINAZ
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby JCINAZ » Mon 07 Nov, 2022 13:21

Here are the latest fresh test results:

FC: 2.5
CC: .5
pH: 7.6
TA: 120

It looks like the aeration over night really impacted the PH level. I stopped the process by turning the jet back down.

My pool still has a thin green layer of algae on the sides and floor of the pool. I have started vacuuming it up with my aquanaut and will start to brush the sides again. The water is getting clearer, but isn't crystal clear yet when looking at the deep end of the pool.

Should I shock the pool? or just keep the tablets topped off?

Thank you for all the help.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 07 Nov, 2022 14:45

If you still have algae the you need to Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) with relation to Chlorine / CYA Chart and Recommended Pool Levels
You will be best to use liquid chorine to get to the correct chlorine level using Pool Maths
You can safely swim up to your slam level for your CYA
JCINAZ
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby JCINAZ » Mon 07 Nov, 2022 17:32

Oh my this is getting complicated. I underestimated and under appreciated my pool maintenance guy.

I reviewed all those sites and will start preparing to implement a SLAM protocol.

For a liquid chlorine plaster pool, I am seeing conflicting information on some of the metrics for what my local pool store says is ideal ranges.

Pool store:
Total Alkalinity: 80-120ppm
Calcium Hardness: 200-400ppm

TFP website:
Total Alkalinity: 60-80ppm
Calcium Hardness: 350-550ppm

Those are some big variances, I am going to go with what the TFP website says, but wanted to double check first.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 08 Nov, 2022 01:17

JCINAZ wrote:Oh my this is getting complicated. I underestimated and under appreciated my pool maintenance guy

Pool store:
Total Alkalinity: 80-120ppm
Calcium Hardness: 200-400ppm

TFP website:
Total Alkalinity: 60-80ppm
Calcium Hardness: 350-550ppm

Those are some big variances, I am going to go with what the TFP website says, but wanted to double check first.

I would expect you are already way above your pool maintenance guy's knowledge.

I was a very early advocate on TFP for lower TA as it stabilises the pH so much better than the higher TA promoted by the industry which is better for sales of pH minus, ChemGeek did the math and I did the pratical. On the hardness issue TFP are probably suggesting the higher figure to lower any aggresive water issues whilst maintaining the standard pH7.2 -7.4, the biggest change in the aggressive/non aggressive water is with pH hence why using a langlier saturation index as I do suggested keeping your pH around 7.5-7.6 so you dont have to add anything else to make the waters calcium hardness any higher.
You have done incredibly well I feel so follow Dennis's advice on Slamming and you'll soon have a perfect pool.
Note slamming with high chlorine will temporarily increase your pH, dont worry and dont adjust for this as the chlorine dissipates the pH will come back down on its own.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
JCINAZ
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby JCINAZ » Tue 08 Nov, 2022 14:02

I was a very early advocate on TFP for lower TA as it stabilises the pH so much better than the higher TA promoted by the industry which is better for sales of pH minus,

This comment made me laugh. I just returned a bag of pH minus to the store last night. Don't think I will ever need it again. :D
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 08 Nov, 2022 14:08

:lol: made me feel all warm inside! Dont battle the pH too much if the pool keeps stable at pH 7.5 or 7.6 or 7.8 its fine. Just be aware any top up water maybe higher in TA, mine is up in th 180-200's so every couple of years I add a cup of muratic acid. A two pint bottle has lasted 3 years so far.
JCINAZ
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby JCINAZ » Wed 09 Nov, 2022 18:43

I am preparing to slam my pool. I have a question on calcium hardness as that is the only metric I haven't researched. Not sure if I should adjust this for SLAM, checking anyway.

My CH: 210

TFP says:

How to Increase Calcium in Pool Water
You increase CH with calcium chloride, sold as a deicer and by pool stores, or calcium chloride dihydrate, sold by pools stores for increasing calcium.

In some parts of the country (the southwest for example), high water hardness leads to CH naturally increasing in pools when there is more evaporation than precipitation.

I do live in the southwest. Should I manually increase it to the ideal minimum of 350 or let the water evap and refill automatically solve it over time?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 10 Nov, 2022 02:26

Don't panic about the CH, get your algae under control first
It might be a good idea to test your tap water first for CH
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 10 Nov, 2022 03:05

Its your call, its your pool but as I suggested earlier allowing your pH to settle around 7.5-6 makes that easier to maintain, chlorine will last a little longer, doesnt require the purchase of another product. Rest assured your water is safe from a calcium perspective you are not corroding equipment or calcium scaling. The addition of water hardener or not is making very little difference but my solution is nearer to zero point than going harder and running the pH lower. I would let things settle for now and get the sanitiser sorted from the SLAM perspective.
Jwg
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20000 gallon in ground cement custom built

Postby Jwg » Thu 10 Nov, 2022 11:58

I am new here and have a pool problem and I can't figure out how to make a new post on this forum. Can anyone help me

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”