List of Water Sanitization Chemical Types

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
mknmike
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

List of Water Sanitization Chemical Types

Postby mknmike » Fri 04 Nov, 2022 07:34

I have a bromine pool and have seen the cost of a 50 lb bucket of bromine go from $230 to $340 to $495 to $460 and now sales at $360 all in just over a year of pool ownership, and believe I’ve decided to switch to a salt water system in the future. I came here curiously looking to see if there are sections for each type of pool chemical option. I see that there’s a section for “alternative” pool chemicals and see Salt as an option there, but it seems to be pretty mainstream IMO.

So anyone (like me) can research all the options, I thought I’d try to list them in one place. Perhaps I will edit this post and list them at the top once I’ve learned them all and categorized them. This may take me some time unless someone chimes in to provide the full categorization.

I think of the main options as:
- chlorine
- salt generated chlorine
- bromine (usually for hot tubs and indoor pools, but what my outdoor pool had when I bought it). I shock with Chlorine, and I understand that Bromine works essentially the same way as chlorine and is rarely differentiated from Chlorine. So maybe this isn’t even its own category.

Since all the above work by oxidation, I assume they could be categorized together.

The there are other options in the “alternative” section:

- Ozone (categorized with Salt water)
- Mineral systems (I have no understanding of)
- Baquacil (seems perhaps common, but I also have no understanding of)

I figure having all the options listed or categorized in one place might be helpful. So I’m going to try to learn them to a small degree and post what I learn here.

EDIT:
This article lists 7, and puts salt water into #1 Chlorine.

https://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/blog/ ... st-options

1) Chlorine

1A) chemical chlorine

1Ai) solid/tablet chlorine, Calcium hypochlorite

1Aii) liquid chlorine, Sodium Hypochlorite

1B) Saline, Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG), creates sodium hypochlorite and hypochlorous acid (see link below)

2) Bromine (and I believe I may have read about an obscure Bromine Salt to do the same as a SWCG under the Chlorine category). The article below claims it takes twice as much bromine as chlorine and that it costs nearly twice as much, meaning it might cost nearly 4x that of Chlorine to operate.

3) UV

4) Ozone

5) Ionizer

6) Hydrogen Peroxide like Baquacil

7) Natural

Edit2:
This article talks about the most common sanitization options:

https://counsilmanhunsaker.com/what-are ... ial-pools/

Spencer1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Leisure centre pool

Re: List of Water Sanitization Chemical Types

Postby Spencer1 » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 10:07

I’d like help with a langelier calculation if anybody can help? I must be doing something wrong. If somebody could help please let me know and I’ll post what I need help with thanks
Thanks

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”