Got started, fixed algae overnight

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Deoncef
I'm new here
I'm new here

Got started, fixed algae overnight

Postby Deoncef » Thu 08 Dec, 2022 22:03

I'm in Sacramento area (Folsom)
Tired of my pool guy messing up, started managing pool myself. This is highly irritating, but no one actually uses the pool anymore so managing it is insult to injury, but oh well.
Lurked at the site for many years but took the plunge with the newer site and app. Pool was getting green and it has been raining regularly for the last few days. Did the first test at Leslie's and got the following results:
FC 0.2
TA 37
CYA 146
pH 7.6
CH 309

Removed the chlorine tab floater. Still have the recently installed Remington Solar Shock Cu ionizer (which I plan to keep for a while and see - especially since no one is using pool)
Added 10lb of Leslie's Alkalinity Up. App and Leslie's both recommended 8+lbs. I have now bought a bag of baking soda from Costco for future.
Waited 4 hrs
Added 4 jugs of Costco Chlorox bleach (121oz 7.17% chlorine). App recommended 3.8 jugs.
Ran overnight

This morning pool is clear. All the green is gone!
Now, need to figure out how to drain pool to get CYA down, and get the testing kit.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Got started, fixed algae overnight

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 09 Dec, 2022 11:42

You could have saved yourself some expense by doing the drain first and its doubtful you needed all that Alc+ as it cause a pH rise with the need to then add pH- to correct it, the pool industry know this of course but its all about more sales.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Got started, fixed algae overnight

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 09 Dec, 2022 12:16

Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach) Liquid chlorine only adds salt
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day and not just dumping shock in and thinking "that's it"

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”