backwash blow back

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
mlmullins

backwash blow back

Postby mlmullins » Thu 23 Aug, 2007 16:14

We bought our house in February and now have our first pool. We don't know the history of the pool because it was a forclosure but the liner was all ripped up and looked as if it had not been used in a while. I do know it is about 15 years old because the place that I buy my chemicals (don't even get me started on that!) put the pool in but they have not been much help and don't act real interested in helping. I don't know anything about the pump because it is so old that you can no longer read anything on it. But here is the latest probelm. Actually it has been doing it from day one. When I backwash (during the backwash process), it blows dirty stuff back in the pool through the returns. We changed the sand and discovered that the L shaped pipe that sticks up in the filter was broken so we assumed that was allowing stuff back through the returns during the backwash process. We replaced the pipe and it still blows stuff back into the pool and now there is also sand in the pool too. When we backwash, water comes out of the backwash pipe just fine but it is blowing back in the pool as well. I don't think it is supposed to do that. Any ideas? Also, we run our pump 24 hours a day. Are we not supposed to do that? The pump has a "hot" smell to it but it has always done that.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: backwash blow back

Postby Backglass » Thu 23 Aug, 2007 19:05

mlmullins wrote:When I backwash (during the backwash process), it blows dirty stuff back in the pool through the returns. We changed the sand and discovered that the L shaped pipe that sticks up in the filter was broken so we assumed that was allowing stuff back through the returns during the backwash process. We replaced the pipe and it still blows stuff back into the pool and now there is also sand in the pool too. When we backwash, water comes out of the backwash pipe just fine but it is blowing back in the pool as well. I don't think it is supposed to do that. Any ideas?

It sounds like your valve gasket is bad and allowing leakage between the ports.

mlmullins wrote:Also, we run our pump 24 hours a day. Are we not supposed to do that? The pump has a "hot" smell to it but it has always done that.

Thats great, but if your pool is clear it's probably not necessary. I run my pump 24/7 when starting up for the season until clear. As for the smell, on an old pump it could be a lot of things. Make sure it's shaded and not in direct sunlight.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
mlmullins

backwash blow back

Postby mlmullins » Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:22

Thanks for the info but what is a valve gasket and where do I find it? Is this a do-it-yourself type thing or should I have a professional do it?

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”