Help...hubby gone and my pool is jacked up!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Tayalynn

Help...hubby gone and my pool is jacked up!

Postby Tayalynn » Thu 25 Oct, 2007 13:22

My husband usually takes care of the the pool problems so I need a rent-a-husband. I went outside today to see that my spa level had dropped a foot and is not draining into the pool. I shut everything down and turned it on, emptied all the skimmer baskets and pump basket and turned it all back on. The clorinator is not filling up so it seems like the water is not recycling back into the pool. I don't know how to "backwash", hubby is away in military and I can't reach him. Thought I'd check with you all before I spend $$$ calling a pool company.
HELP?!!!
Taya :cry:

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Fri 26 Oct, 2007 11:08

My husband usually takes care of the the pool problems so I need a rent-a-husband. I went outside today to see that my spa level had dropped a foot and is not draining into the pool. I shut everything down and turned it on, emptied all the skimmer baskets and pump basket and turned it all back on. The clorinator is not filling up so it seems like the water is not recycling back into the pool. I don't know how to "backwash", hubby is away in military and I can't reach him. Thought I'd check with you all before I spend $$$ calling a pool company.

First turn on pump and read filter gauge, if pressure is high then backwash. If gauge shows no pressure then there is something clogging up system or there is air getting in system not allowing it to prime/build pressure.
Do you have multiport valve?
This is located next to filter and looks round and has a handle on top in the middle of it that you push down & turn clockwise. It should be pointing/on filter & you turn to the opposite end from filter to backwash with system off. Then turn on & run for 3-5mins, then turn system off & turn handle clockwise back to filter & turn on sytem. Gauge should then read lower pressure. If you have sand filter your done, If you have DE filter you need to add DE powder & the filter will tell you what type you have on the side of it.
If you have push & pull backwash unit, turn system off, turn handle counter clockwise & pull up. Then turn on system and run 3-5mins, turn off, push handle down & turn clockwise which locks it back into place. Turn on system & check filter gauge which should read lower pressure.

If filter gauge shows no pressure when first turning on pump to see if it needs backwashing, then something is clogging system or you have air leak not allowing system to build up pressure.
You already cleaned pump basket & skimmer, so check pump basket lid. The lid has a black plastic O-ring on the bottom of it. You can grease it up & then add water to pump put on lid & turn on pump.
See if this helps you

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”