Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
dchackert
I'm new here
I'm new here

Concrete Grid

Postby dchackert » Tue 27 Jul, 2021 17:50

We just had the deck area redone. The old concrete was ripped out and new stuff put in and made larger. We have now found that we get a nuisance shock from the concrete. We found that no grid system was installed in the concrete to ground it. Has anyone else had this issue and been able to correct it without dedoing the concrete? From what I found Electric code nationwide is anything 3 feet of a pool must be grounded including the concrete.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dchackert
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Concrete Grid

Postby dchackert » Mon 18 Oct, 2021 21:49

Anyone following and curious our concrete guy is going to tear out about 6 ft from the pools edge and install the grid to ground the concrete. Anyone pouring new concrete make sure they add the grid. Its electric code.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 19 Oct, 2021 08:54

Seems strange to me as the concrete would be grounded naturally
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 19 Oct, 2021 11:51

dchackert wrote:We have now found that we get a nuisance shock from the concrete.

What is the source of the nuisance shock, the concrete is already in contact with the ground? Where are the electrons coming from?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
dchackert
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dchackert » Tue 19 Oct, 2021 18:42

All our wires in the neighborhood are underground. Electric Company said in those cases there's always some measure amount of electricity through the ground. Not high but a bit. That combined with the water the electricity comes through the concrete and the pool water and a wet concrete slab next to the pool cause a small nuisance shock. The grid will I guess displace that electricity somehow. Can't exactly remember it all as some was over my head.

Would at least recommend anyone doing a new install or remodel of the pool deck to ask about making sure the grid is in place since it is a national electric code.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”