Pool tile plastic molding

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
worahm

Postby worahm » Tue 02 Aug, 2011 13:35

I am trying find a source for the plasitc molding that runs along the upper edge of the water line tile around my pool. The plastic forms a cavity for the top edge of the tile to fit in and provides a finish look between the lower edge of the pool deck and the top edge of the tile. Bill

Curatolo Pools
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Curatolo Pools » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 01:19

What you have there is probably a Cantilever deck. This is a type of form attached to tile before the deck is poured. The strip of plastic was an insert between the top of the tile and the styrofoam form to make this finished edge at the top of the tile and is now embedded in the concrete. This plastic stripping is really not something that could be replaced. I know after many years it can becomes chipped and dry rotted and can become unsightly. I do a pool remodeling here in the New port Richey ,Florida area I run across this a lot. What I do is usually cut away the plastic and re tile right over the existing tile and it is eliminated. Unless they have come up with a fix for this old problem that I haven't heard of, I can't really offer you much more advice. I am posting a pic of the original form design type which was probably used to help you understand how this works. The plastic strips would have been inserted on the inside edge of the form almost acting as a seal between the concrete deck and the top of the tile..Perhaps when the time comes to Diamond brite the pool you can have new tile installed as well and end that plastic strip problem for good.
ImageImage
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 10:21

Curatolo Pools wrote: I do a pool remodeling here in the New port Richey ,Florida area I run across this a lot. What I do is usually cut away the plastic and re tile right over the existing tile and it is eliminated. http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm88 ... /edge1.jpg[/img]

If you "usually re-tile right over the existing tile, what is your prep procedure and how do you deal with a resulting 5/8" offset to the existing plaster?
Thanks.
Curatolo Pools
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Curatolo Pools » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 16:00

Take a grinder to the existing tile and rough it up . Use a multipurpose thin set designed for tile overs. My remodels mostly involve resurfacing so I don't run into the problem of the plaster not meeting the tile.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby czechmate » Thu 29 Sep, 2011 11:49

Curatolo Pools wrote:Take a grinder to the existing tile and rough it up . Use a multipurpose thin set designed for tile overs. My remodels mostly involve resurfacing so I don't run into the problem of the plaster not meeting the tile.

First time I have seen written instruction to jerryrigging. I guess when you live long enough you bound to see just about anything. One time we run out of the gas on the way to the deer lease in the middle of nowhere, in Texas. My partner put a Coleman fuel to the tank and we made it to the gas station. That does not mean that the engine was build for a Coleman fuel either.
You also recommended this shotty procedure as a remedy to get rid of a strip of plastic! No mention that he would have to replaster the whole pool!
BTW, THERE IS NO THINSET ON THE MARKET ANYWHERE, MADE FOR TILING OVER EXISTING TILE.
ESPECIALLY FOR SUSTAINED SUBMERSION!
In 40 years in construction business not only that I have not heard of anybody doing this, I have not met anyone, that would have the guts to suggest such a procedure.
Curatolo Pools
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Curatolo Pools » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 04:03

Now go back and slowly try to re-read my post... I did not suggest he do anything until someday when he needs to replaster or remodel the pool. I said "Perhaps when the time comes to Diamond brite the pool you can have new tile installed as well and end that plastic strip problem for good" ..... Even you can learn something new every day if you keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth closed for a minute.. I have been in this business since I was 17 and I'am now 55. I still haven't seen "everything" and I am always willing to learn something new. I knew your little question was some sort of ambush but I played anyway.. I have done exactly what I described and it works just fine..And there is a type of thin set we pool pros use for this..oops..I forgot, your in Texas in the middle of nowhere right ?......Now this is what his original question was about. The gentleman thought he could find and replace the strip of plastic located on the inside edge of the Cantilever but you can't unless you tear out the whole deck if you want to get technical..I have worked with cantilever forms so I know something about this subject. I've built pools since the 70s.. In my state they don't hand these licenses to just anybody. I've earned it. Reputation and honesty are all part of our licensing criteria as well as knowing your trade. I wish people like you would take a shot at helping the guy figure it out rather than rush to call Licensed contractors offering advice shoddy. .I did enjoy your Coleman story and really thought it was quite inventive. And It worked huh??... I could have called it shoddy or stupid..But I didn't...Think about it genius....I will accept your apology in advance for misreading my response to the mans question. Have a good day.. I got to go to wallmart to get a coleman in case I run out of gas.
poolboy911

Postby poolboy911 » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 09:24

czechmate wrote:BTW, THERE IS NO THINSET ON THE MARKET ANYWHERE, MADE FOR TILING OVER EXISTING TILE. ESPECIALLY FOR SUSTAINED SUBMERSION!

Try BASF Mastertile 99 NT (in Europe) which is made for tiling over highly-glazed existing tile without any primer. It is recommended for use in drinking water tanks as well as olympic pools, heated pools and thermal pools alike.

If you miss cleaning any unwanted mortar you have to remove those tiles because it never lets go.
Curatolo Pools
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Curatolo Pools » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 12:08

thank you..
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby czechmate » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 20:00

poolboy911 wrote:
czechmate wrote:BTW, THERE IS NO THINSET ON THE MARKET ANYWHERE, MADE FOR TILING OVER EXISTING TILE. ESPECIALLY FOR SUSTAINED SUBMERSION!

Try BASF Mastertile 99 NT (in Europe) which is made for tiling over highly-glazed existing tile without any primer. It is recommended for use in drinking water tanks as well as olympic pools, heated pools and thermal pools alike.

If you miss cleaning any unwanted mortar you have to remove those tiles because it never lets go.

And yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus too! :D
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby czechmate » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 20:34

Curatolo Pools wrote:I did not suggest he do anything until someday when he needs to replaster or remodel the pool. I said "Perhaps when the time comes to Diamond brite the pool you can have new tile installed as well and end that plastic strip problem for good" ..... Even you can learn something new every day if you keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth closed for a minute.. I have been in this business since I was 17 and I'am now 55. I still haven't seen "everything" and I am always willing to learn something new. I knew your little question was some sort of ambush but I played anyway.. I have done exactly what I described and it works just fine..And there is a type of thin set we pool pros use for this..oops..I forgot, your in Texas in the middle of nowhere right ?......
In my state they don't hand these licenses to just anybody.Think about it genius.....

Bravo!!
So you have been in business since 17? In Texas we call that a high school dropout. Furthermore, you saying you did recommend this procedure "for the time the guy will be replastering the pool with DiamonBrite" ???
Really? So that is how you install new tile for a 5.000 - 6.000 dollar re-plaster job and you have the nerve to call yourself a professional?? That is what they hand out a licenses in Florida for??
(Do not bother to re-cook your goulash, we are not becoming new pen pals).
BTW, your "caliber" can't insult me, no matter how many codescending remarks you will manage to squeeze in. :wave:
Curatolo Pools
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Curatolo Pools » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 21:11

Somewhere a village is missing it's idiot..
WOP

Postby WOP » Tue 04 Oct, 2011 17:16

You are right. They miss him in Long Island, N.Y. ever since 1980, when he moved to Port Richey, Florida.
Robby

Postby Robby » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 16:16

worahm wrote:I am trying find a source for the plasitc molding that runs along the upper edge of the water line tile around my pool. The plastic forms a cavity for the top edge of the tile to fit in and provides a finish look between the lower edge of the pool deck and the top edge of the tile. Bill

Bill,

I have the same problem. Did you get any other information? The plastic on my pool just has small pieces missing here and there. If I could find a place to buy the plastic, I was going to just try and glue a new piece all around the pool to cover up the missing chips.

Robby
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby czechmate » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 18:54

The plastic strip is imbeded in the concrete during the pour of the cantilever deck.
It provides finishing look. The purpose is pure cosmetics. It cannot be replaced, and it would not match colorwise anyway. You can either live with it, remove it all, or re-tile and grout to the coping.
I know it sucks, but those are the option pretty much.
Pool Diva
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14x33 inground with cantilever deck.

Re: Pool tile plastic molding

Postby Pool Diva » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 22:16

There is a product manufactured by Stegmeier called a Renovation Tile Strip on page 41 of their online catalog. I believe this may have been what you were searching for. I realize this is an old thread but it may be helpful to anyone searching for a solution today.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”