swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Mikegoldnj
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground, vinyl liner. DE filter, in-line chlorinator

Cascade of issues with 19 year old pool

Postby Mikegoldnj » Sun 18 Jul, 2021 16:43

So, we have a 19 year old vinyl liner inground pool. We just had the liner replaced two years ago. Concrete decking around pool with white metal coping.

We were going to enlarge the deck area by having pavers installed around the perimeter of the concrete but, realized we have a significant leak issue which has now been located to one of the return lines. So, before any further work, we have had to have portions of the concrete cut out in order to get access to the returns to install new lines back to filter.

Upon cutting the concrete, it was discovered that the base under the concrete was not prepared properly and there is a void of two or three inches between the concrete and ground next to the pool wall.

It seems out options are now to either ignore this, just clean cut the rest of the two concrete sections and instal pavers into these new open sections and around the perimeter and then deal with any future concrete cracks if and when they happen or…

Completely remove all existing concrete, remove the existing metal coping, re-bond the structure, prepare entire base and install pavers with cantilever coping (which involves installing new liner track.

Here’s my question. The existing liner is only two years old. The pool company that installed it now says that if we remove the existing coping and redo the deck and coping amd install the different liner track that we HAVE TO get an entirely brand new liner. I have no way of knowing if this is true or if they are trying to sell us a new liner. Would it be common that this type of work would necessitate replacing a liner that is otherwise fine?

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”