swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
And
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10m x 5m concrete

Insulation

Postby And » Mon 15 Aug, 2022 12:34

I have an existing indoor pool which was built some years ago as an outdoor pool. I want to insulate it and would like to use something like thermapool in the UK. Unfortunately, I don't think the company is trading now and I can't find an alternative. Any ideas?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Insulation

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 16 Aug, 2022 11:13

Lucky for everyone thermapool are no longer around! They were ............. Back to the insulation. What are your pool walls made from? You can use extruded polystyrene as its stronger than the expanded but costs more. Companies like Marmox or Wedi do panels with a tough coating each side. If you do use expanded polystyrene best use a waterproof membrane like that used on ICF built basements to protect the polystyrene.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
And
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby And » Fri 19 Aug, 2022 03:57

The only thing I was interested in from Thermopool was the internal insulation. Did that work well? The pool is at a house I am moving to in a couple of weeks so I am a bit vague but it looks to be concrete with a tiled mosaic border and painted walls and bottom. It started life many years ago as an outside pool and was later enclosed. I suspect it has no insulation and the current owner says that the tiles around it do get warm when the pool is heated. The paintwork looks a bit blotchy and the current owner said that it loses a small amount of water (I don't know how much). I, therefore, thought that fitting a liner with insulation between it and the concrete would hopefully solve 2 problems. The rest of the area is finished to a high standard and is in excellent condition. It even has ducted de-humidification. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 19 Aug, 2022 10:35

Yes the insulation does work very well. The school pool they refurbished in Woodmansterne allowed the school to keep using the pool where previously it was too expensive on heating to continue to fund. That was the blue Dow insulation with the tough BASF polymer cement coating on the outside. Look at Wedi or Marmox for similar and others have similar products now. Using a kerf cutting technique curves can be accommodated. A good heat retaining cover works well also and is foam around 6mm or 10mm thick.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
And
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby And » Sat 20 Aug, 2022 09:08

Teapot1 thanks for your answers.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”