miscellaneous construction techniques.
Joey1313
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: New pool

New pool- Refinished 2 times

Postby Joey1313 » Sat 05 Nov, 2022 10:26

Hello Everyone

I have a question. I recently built a new pool and even when it’s fully drained it keeps filling up with what seems to be water from the ground. It discolors the surface and it’s not just a small amount of water.

Should the system be sealed from these elements? They have refinished the pool twice and the finish is always distorted by the drain.

There was no rain that would cause the pool to fill. Any direction would be helpful, the builder does not respond.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: New pool- Refinished 2 times

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 07 Nov, 2022 14:56

Sounds like high ground water level and leaking back into the pool via the hydrostatic valve in the main drain. Without that valve and a high ground water your pool can begin to lift/float out of the ground.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 07 Nov, 2022 16:15

Seems like the hydrostatic relief valve is doing it's job
You need to keep the water away while the finish is going off or pump it out and quickly finish
When the pool fills you shouldn't have any problems
Has the builder been paid?
mknmike
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mknmike » Tue 08 Nov, 2022 19:15

I saw a main drain that has a bucket under the floor of the pool. If you are using one of these, you should be able to maybe set a sump pump in there to run every time the level rises. It might be too tight for a sump pump though, meaning you’d have to manually kick on the pump.

So they make main drains big enough to fit a sump pump with a float in there? Any sump pumps or submersibles that could turn on and off automatically that are small enough?
Joey1313
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: New pool

Postby Joey1313 » Tue 08 Nov, 2022 21:25

Thanks everyone. That makes total
sense.

Yes and no. We are on final payment. They have received 95% of the money. I refuse to pay them until the pool is finished properly.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 09 Nov, 2022 11:24

If its nearly done could they not fit an expanding bung into the drain while they finish to stop this, unless you have a lot of rain it should be ok temporarily. Obviously I am not there to see it so only an idea. The lifting of your pool would/should take a while and hopefully by then you'll begin filling it.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 09 Nov, 2022 11:30

I've seen mention of a screwed plug which could be fitted temporary if an expandable bung doesn't seal the thread

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”