OK to install new gunnite pool over old vinyl pool?

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.

OK to install new gunnite pool over old vinyl pool?

Postby Guest » Mon 02 May, 2005 11:17

We are about to replace our existing 20x40 liner pool with a free-form gunnite pool. One installer has suggested that we could save a bundle by simply removing the water and the liner and then building the new pool inside the cavity left from the old vinyl pool.

When I asked a couple of other contractors about doing this they said no -- too risky given that they don't know how stable are the materials used in the vinyl pool.

Any thoughts on this? This could save 5-8000 on the overall cost which could then be put into better decking, etc.

Postby Guest » Wed 18 May, 2005 13:38

I'd think a hole is a hole as long as the plumbing is leak-free and the shell will fitting perfectly. Just make sure you have no air spaces in between...I'd probably use sand/portland cement mix to let new gunite settle down.

Postby Guest » Tue 31 May, 2005 21:17

AS A CONTRACTOR I WOULD SAY NO BECAUSE OF FUTURE PROBLEMS. WHEN A PROPER POOL IS INSTALLED THEY USE ABOUT A FOOT OR REBAR AND STRUCTURAL CEMENT. IF YOU JUST GO OVER THE OLD, IT WOULD SOUND LIKE A PROBLEM
JOHNAHASHEMI

Re: OK to install new gunnite pool over old vinyl pool?

Postby JOHNAHASHEMI » Mon 01 May, 2006 22:36

I personally wouldn't take the risk. There could be all sorts of problems with the static stability of the shell.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”