swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
bradleykw
I'm new here
I'm new here

Replacing diving board

Postby bradleykw » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 21:05

Hi all,

All the hardware on my diving board rusted badly enough that I'm replacing it (hardware, not the board or base). This includes the bolts that attach from the base to the board and the bolts attaching the base to the concrete.

I was just curious about the way to deal with the bolts in the concrete. I've got my bolt epoxy kit meant for my diving board but I can't figure out if I should try to remove (drill out?) the old bolts from the concrete, or just drill new holes about 2 inches away (to the side) from the old bolts (bolt pattern same, diving board itself in good shape). I tried for quite a few hours to try and drill out the old bolts using cobalt drill bits but it did not go well. Also, the bolts are all attached to each other under the concrete using a 3-way jig so I don't think I can drill all around the old bolts with a mortar bit and get it out easily unless I drilled all the way thru the concrete and jig. Although, I'm not sure of this. It looks as though the safety envelope of space needed for a diving board will be good even if I move the board over 2 inches or so. I'm considering going this route and just putting cement patch over the old bolts (Currently sawed off and level with the concrete).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brad

bradleykw
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby bradleykw » Mon 28 Jul, 2008 23:15

No one wants to touch this?

Brad

Replacing diving board

Postby Guest » Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:32

Use a side cutter / grinder , cut them off flush, then drill new holes to one side or the other would be my best guess
bradleykw
I'm new here
I'm new here

Replacing diving board

Postby bradleykw » Thu 16 Jul, 2009 20:16

Thanks for the reply. That's what I ended up doing and the board is doing great. I'm pretty heavy too and the epoxy kit seems to be working as advertised.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:11

bradleykw wrote:No one wants to touch this?

Brad

They way it works is that a manufacturer makes a board, a distributor carries the board and sells it to a contractor who installs it as per every rule out there. Years later some drunk guy decides to set some kind of record off it and crunches his noggin. The lawyers of course now sue everyone including the manufacturer and they win a lot. I am surprised anyone even handles them anymore.

So yes, anyone answering questions like that can get in a lot of trouble.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”