Green Cloudy Water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Mike Espinoza

Green Cloudy Water

Postby Mike Espinoza » Sun 27 May, 2007 18:02

I just opened my pool and been cleaning it out and i shocked it twice. Its been about a day or 2 and the water is still green and very cloudy. The PH level is about 6.8, the alkalinity is low i don't remember how low, the chlorine is a bit over, and the calcium hardness is about 160 ppm. The water is basically green, you cant see the bottom. I dont know what to do the pump has been running for 2 days now. Can someone please give some advice.

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 27 May, 2007 19:27

You are not shocking it enough. You need to get the chlorine a lot over.

If you are shocking with pool store dry shock you are probably contributing to the low PH & low Alk and possibly raising your CYA too high.

Use liquid chlorine. Without pool volume it's hard to tell you how much you should use.

You need to bring it up to about 25 ppm. A gallon of 12.5% pool store liquid chlorine will bring it up 12.5 ppm per 10K gallons of water.
A gallon of regular 5% laundry bleach will bring it up 5 ppm per 10K gallons of water.

Bring your PH & Alk up by using Arm & Hammer Laundry Washing Soda or Soda Ash. 8 oz of either will bring your pH up 0.2 ppm

You need to keep running your pump 7/24, brushing/vacumming daily and backwashing at least once daily until this gets cleared up.

Patience and diligence - it can take 3 to 7 days to completely clear, but your green should go away within minutes to hours once you get your chlorine higher and to the right shock level.
Mike Espinoza

Postby Mike Espinoza » Mon 28 May, 2007 11:30

Hey thanks I'll try that. I already put Soda Ash and Alkalinity up. I have heard alot about using bleach so i guess I'll do that. I have 10000 gallons by the way. Thanks i'll come back with results
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 28 May, 2007 15:16

You're welcome. Remember to test frequently when you are out of balance like this, so you really know what to work on.
gf inmaine

cloudy/green water

Postby gf inmaine » Mon 28 May, 2007 19:23

I ve been running my pump for over 3 weeks. had the pool allmost clear , ph and alk are in 7.2 and 1100 ppm. perfect . added 24 oz of cal hypo and it went cloudy/ green again . sand filter is going on 4th season
18000 gal pool . installed new pool wizard 2 wks ago . I added metal out last week after adding well water . it takes out the green but not the cloudys . I'm chasing this stuff around in circles . Hth hotline says add clarifier and wait . same answer as last month.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 28 May, 2007 22:22

gfinmaine - you probably should have started a new thread instead of replying to this one.

What is your Calcium Hardness level? Stop using Cal Hypo. Use liquid chlorine.

1100 ppm of TA???!!! I hope that's a typo, else it's way too high.

Keep your pump running 7/24, vacuum daily.

What are your test readings? Something's off if it's still cloudy after 3 weeks.

Re: Green Cloudy Water

Postby Guest » Tue 29 May, 2007 10:11

Mike Espinoza wrote:I just opened my pool and been cleaning it out and i shocked it twice. Its been about a day or 2 and the water is still green and very cloudy. The PH level is about 6.8, the alkalinity is low i don't remember how low, the chlorine is a bit over, and the calcium hardness is about 160 ppm. The water is basically green, you cant see the bottom. I dont know what to do the pump has been running for 2 days now. Can someone please give some advice.
gf inmaine

still green

Postby gf inmaine » Tue 29 May, 2007 18:49

still cloudy and green. added 15 oz hth clarifier at thier recomend . made it worse.
total hardness 2-400
free clorine 2/4 and going down
ph 7.2
TA 100-120 going upsince yesterday
CYA 0

I have 3" tab chlorinator ( last years tabs ) . i dont think they are cal hypo. next shock i'll try the liquid . When? what should i use in chlorinator?
should i replace sand next?
This same cycle happened two weeks ago .
I had trouble with pump . It had an ultra-flo 1.5 hp 1.1 SF
I replaced it with a whisper flo 1 hp with a 1.65 SF
Isn't that the same size ?
I can hear water flowing in the filter that i dont recall with the old pump . maybe the new one is just quieter. More backpressure when i turn it off
I think I'll rebuild old unit. GF

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”