Cloudy Swimming Pool Water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
jgrav8
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 22000 gallon
Vinyl
Use chlorine tabs
Sand filter 4 years old - Pentair

Re: Cloudy Swimming Pool Water

Postby jgrav8 » Sat 04 Jun, 2022 12:51

Pool store numbers are in and there are differences for sure from what I measured:

TC = 18.87
FC = 15.85
pH = 7.4
TA = 51
CH = 135
CYA = 71

TA seems to be the first thing I need to get on. I am told this is a potential factor in cloudy water. Their pH measurement is normal - but I might tend to believe what my Taylor kit measured. Will address the TA first. Continue checking TC/FC at night and first thing AM.

The CYA is very high for what I typically see in my pool. I do not recall ever seeing anything above 60 and usually I have the opposite problem of needing to increase.

I measured with Taylor kit - combine water and chemical in 14mL bottle and pour slowly into small tube until small black dot disappears. Done drop-wise near the end.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 04 Jun, 2022 13:09

You have CC of 3 so you need to keep slamming but at a higher rate of 28
Bear in mind that slam stands for SHOCK LEVEL AND MAINTAIN so you should check often during the day to maintain the correct level
Your cloudiness is probably causing you to lose the dot earlier
When you have finished slamming maintain the FC level at 8-10
Your pool info says you use chlorine tabs which contain CYA which will cause your CYA to rise

Use these common products to balance your pool, use Pool Maths to work out how much but don't do all at once so you don't go over

Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach) Liquid chlorine only adds salt
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
jgrav8
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 22000 gallon
Vinyl
Use chlorine tabs
Sand filter 4 years old - Pentair

Postby jgrav8 » Thu 28 Jul, 2022 18:44

Hi Dennis/all,

Back but with a slightly different "cloudy" problem. Pool has been in great shape all summer - until earlier this week, we got over 10" of rain in less than 6 hours overnight. This resulted in dirt and sediment "waterfalling" into the pool. Debris has been skimmed out - but water is slightly brown. Bottom not visible.

Current levels:
pH = 7.4
FC = 11.5
CC = 0
TA = now 90 - was 60 when I started recovery
CH = measuring very low - about 110 or 120.

Actions besides running sand filter at all times - shocked with liquid chlorine. Added about 8.5 lbs of baking soda to bring TA up to 90. Brushed several times and ran robot to agitate. Have backwashed a couple of times, does not seem to be getting better by much. I know this will be a process.

Any other ideas on what I could/should do?
Av8te
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 50,000 gallon plaster swimming pool. 20x60 with built in spa. Hayward system with vs950 pumps, 4 cartridge filter, 500k btu heater

Postby Av8te » Mon 22 Aug, 2022 02:51

What is your CYA level at?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 22 Aug, 2022 03:42

jgrav8 wrote:Hi Dennis/all,

Back but with a slightly different "cloudy" problem. Pool has been in great shape all summer - until earlier this week, we got over 10" of rain in less than 6 hours overnight. This resulted in dirt and sediment "waterfalling" into the pool. Debris has been skimmed out - but water is slightly brown. Bottom not visible.

Current levels:
pH = 7.4
FC = 11.5
CC = 0
TA = now 90 - was 60 when I started recovery
CH = measuring very low - about 110 or 120.

Actions besides running sand filter at all times - shocked with liquid chlorine. Added about 8.5 lbs of baking soda to bring TA up to 90. Brushed several times and ran robot to agitate. Have backwashed a couple of times, does not seem to be getting better by much. I know this will be a process.

Any other ideas on what I could/should do?

Sorry I missed your last post
Obviously you have muddy water
After a backwash add a cup of DE into the skimmer just to improve the filtration and when it rises 20-25% above clean backwash again
Also an old towell scrunched up in skimmer basket will collect quiet a bit

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”