Pool water cloudy with tiny fine white flakes/particles

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
John80
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15x30 above ground.

Pool water cloudy with tiny fine white flakes/particles

Postby John80 » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 06:56

Need some help, I’ve never put anything in my pool other than chlorine to keep it clean and looking nice, try cover ripped over winter so a ton of leaves and stuff washed into the pool, when I pulled cover off water was green. Immediately cleaned out as much debris as possible, and raised chlorine to 8-10 and held it for 4-5 days water is no longer green but still cloudy. What I have been doing is alternating between filter/pump off for 8 hours, then vacuum on waste, top up filter 8 hours and repeat. After a week of this still no change to cloudy ( by this point I have let the chlorine stabilize to a standard levels to make sure the clouding isn’t due to chemicals) so I went to pool store they sold me floc/water clarifier I didn’t want to buy it I did now my pool is cloudier than it was and has millions of tiny white particles throughout water! I followed the steps exactly. At this point I am debating on draining and refilling but figured maybe I can seek experienced help my current levels are
FC 3.6
TC 3.9
ALk 115
PH 7.5
TH 325
I have tried to let the particles settle by leaving pump off but has stated the same, they are suspended throughout water I am unsure if the filter is getting them or not, any ideas or help would be great. Should I drain and refill?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool water cloudy with tiny fine white flakes/particles

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 07:32

Hi John80
Your numbers don't mention CYA which is an integral part deciding what your shock level should be
You also don't mention backwashing
What chemicals are you using and what filter
engf183
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Oval 38 by 18 vinyl liner. 4.6 ft deep
Sand Filter
Natural 2 chlorinator

Postby engf183 » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 07:08

I’m having the same problem. The Ph and alkalinity were high, so I have been adding a quart of Maurice acid a day but levels were not dropping. . Water was getting cloudy. Took water sample to pool store and they showed I need to add calcium. It turned to water to milk. It’s a vinyl new pool. Free and total chlorine is at a 3. I have flushed the sand filter twice and have been running the dolphin vacuum none stop. Turn pump
Off, hoping it would settle. What can I do to clear water up
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 14:50

Oh dear, you have been pool stored and now you are worse off than when you started.
Pool store morons know nothing! they read some out of date industry chart and sell any old crap to try and get the figures where the chart tells them and will always have another bottle of crap to sell you.

You have a vinyl pool, You can run on a very much lower calcium level than a concrete/plaster/tiled pool can without any risks. Likewise Alkalinity, you can run much lower and have a more stable pH than a concrete/plaster/tiled pool.

Take no more notice of the pool store, get your own test kit (not dip strips) and own your pool! Be the Boss!
Next step is up to you but we need to see a complete set of water test results including CYA, the single most important chemical in your pool, CYA controls your pool!
miguel_teebles
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby miguel_teebles » Fri 22 May, 2020 00:50

I have what appears to be cloudy water coming from the return with scum developing on top of the pool... currently I have a Hayward ec65 filter.. tube sheets are not cracked, I replaced diaphragm gasket, but still have cloudy water with scum developing. I've taken apart the tube sheets and removed the flex tubes. I've inspected the tube assembly and noticed two very small imperfections on 2 different tubes... are two tiny fabric pulls enough to make the cloudy water in my pool? Thanks for your help
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 22 May, 2020 04:20

I would think that any holes would allow DE back into the pool
miguel_teebles
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby miguel_teebles » Sat 23 May, 2020 08:47

Thanks Dennis.. I found a pool store nearby that sold me some replacement tubes for $2 each.. I also reset the diaphragm gasket being sure to tighten in a star pattern and so far no de appears to be flowing out..

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”