Unable to get my water clear

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
pbedtke
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15'x30' inground sport pool.

Unable to get my water clear

Postby pbedtke » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 17:12

Greetings everyone and thank you in advance for any advice.

I've been struggling for about 2 weeks to get clear water. Prior to that, the water looked great since we opened the pool on June 5th. The pool is used daily (weather permitting) by and average of 6-10 people. When the pool was opened on June 5th, it was completely drained and re-filled with city water.

Currently the water is cloudy with a teal tint to it and we're unable to see the bottom of the pool at 5'.

I have a 15'x30' IG sport pool and we use chlorine. I've had the water tested every other day at the local pool store and am continually told that the water is in good shape but due to the excessive heat, everyone is struggling to get clear water and that I should just keep shocking it and cleaning it. We live in Kansas and I don't feel that this year is any warmer than years past.

Latest numbers were as follows

FC - 2.88
TC - 3.59
CC - .71
pH - 7.4
Hardness - 142
Alkalinity - 105
CYA - 83
Copper - .1
Iron - 0

The pool is being vacuumed and brushed every evening. I've added algacide to the pool which didn't effect it any any way. I'm burning through chlorine tabs like crazy (around 16 per week) through the in-line chlorinator. Looking for other advice than from the company telling me to just keep shocking it every other day.

Maybe that infomration is correct and that's all I can do. Looking for any suggestions or advice on if this seems normal to anyone else.

Thank you

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Unable to get my water clear

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 25 Jul, 2020 01:45

Stop using tabs or powder and move over to liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
With a CYA of 80 you should be targetting 9-11 as recommended in Chlorine / CYA Chart
Don't use copper algaecide as the effects aren't always desirable. Use a Polyquat 60
(Any brand as long as the ingredients are "Poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride" at 60% concentration.)
With the amount of CC you are getting borderline for a Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) but a partial 50% drain and refill should bring your CYA to a good 40 and also your CC
Pool stores are in the business of selling and the more you use stabilised chlorine shock the worse it gets
Hope the above helps

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”