1st Time Pool Owner Desperate

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
TheLawnmowerMan
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15x30 Oval Inground, 3ft - 10ft depth, Steel Wall w/Vinyl Liner, Hayward 210lbs sand filter, Hayward SuperPump 3/4hp.

1st Time Pool Owner Desperate

Postby TheLawnmowerMan » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 20:23

Pool Details
Inground Pool
15x30 Oval
3ft descending to 10ft (from what im told by previous owner)
Steel Wall w/Vinyl Liner (Liner age 10-15yrs)
Hayward Sand Filter w/ 3/4hp Hayward Super Pump
Chlorine used is SuperChlor (5 gal)
Shock used is HTH super concentrate

Background Story
As the title suggest my wife and I are first time homeowner and the pool came with the house. We purchased our house in the winter and were unable to see the inside of the pool due to it having the cover installed over it. When the month of May rolled around it finally got warm enough to go out and start doing yard work and pull the cover off the pool. I had to search around for the tool to remove the cover. When I did I didnt enjoy what I seen. The water was crystal clear, BUT the bottom of the pool was covered with im guessing 1 in or more of leaf debris, algae growth, and random items that were sunk to the bottom. The pool I later found out was left unattended and uncovered for a considerable amount of time to the tune of several years. Great...

So looking around the pool There was the skimmer pole, net bag, brush, etc. I fished out of the bottom the misc items that i could. And then went to work on the layer of sludge debris, leaves, etc. I put the bag on the skimmer pole and would drag it across the bottom and scrape up what I could of this stuff. The bag would come up completely full and bending the pole, and after many days of this it started coming up with less debris and sludge. Due to digging all this crap out of the pool it stirred up all the gunk in there and the pool turned to a nasty green/gray slop. I had a friend with some pool experience come over and check stuff out, He shocked it, put in baking soda, and algae remover. The pool overnight turned semi blue and slightly clear in the shallow end, but not the deep end. At its best time we could see to the bottom of the shallow end. But thats the best its ever been.
This went on for several weeks and the wife an I were starting to get upset with how nothing was helping this pool. Every now and then Id drag the net and still dig up more. It got to the point that I had a friend from work who is also a rescue diver come over to the house the other day and dive to the bottom and see what exactly was down there due to me never being able to see the bottom since I started digging it all up. He came up with leaf debris, sticks, sludge, a padlock, a children's diving flipper, and rocks. Told me that this was all jammed in the main drain. As soon as he removed all that the pool pressure went from barely 2 lbs to 10-12 lbs and remained there. The return lines stopped belching out air bubbles and the filter housing filled with more water than I had ever seen. I asked if that was how it was supposed to be and he said yeah (he owned a in-ground pool for a few years) I was supper excited about this that the water was circulating better (and how it should of in the first place, but me being new to pools didn't have a clue anything was wrong)
After he swam around in there, brushed the bottom and sides, and dragged the vacuum around it he said it was as good as he's going to be able to do. And as you can imagine everything stirred back up and created a grayish green water color. I've had the pump going non stop for the past 2 days and in hopes of it clearing up. I "over" shocked it the night my buddy jumped in it and cleaned up what he could. I had also added baking soda to it due to my pH and Alkalinity being low. Also put in Algaecide to kill whatever algae was floating in the water. And as of tonight just now added 5 gal chlorine to it due to it being low.
Current Status
I currently use the Clorox Test Strips and their color gauge on the back of the bottle. Water Color is a milky white and ubale to see past 1 ft of depth.
Hardness - OK
Chlorine - LOW
Free Chlorine - LOW
pH - High
Alkalinity - High
Stabilizer - LOW

I am a complete loss of what to do and where to go from here. I can provide pictures of test strips, chemicals used with amounts, etc.
I have called pool places nearby and we live to far away from them to where they will come out and check chemistry and equipment (We live in a pretty rural area)
I have had water tested at pool place.
I have done it all but dont know where to go from here. You can visually see stuff suspended in the water thats making it this color. I have purchased 200lbs of sand in case the filter needs the sand changed. I dont know the last time it was done if ever at all, etc. I am lost...

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: 1st Time Pool Owner Desperate

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 27 Jul, 2020 02:28

First of all backwash your filter, when the water runs clearer make a note of your clean pressure, put it back to filter and when it increases by 25% backwash again
Test strips are commonly called guess strips
You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day
Stop using SuperChlor as it will raise your calcium level to high and shock is just stabilised chlorine
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
Let's have your numbers (not high or low) and we will advise.
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Take a sample to a pool store for analysis which isn't the best but better than strips

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”