Sort the cloud before draining?

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
PoolG
I'm new here
I'm new here

Sort the cloud before draining?

Postby PoolG » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 07:02

Hi all,

First time pool owner here taking baby steps.

Have the small Intex inflatable above ground ring-top pool (244cm x 76cm).

Put it up with the intention of only having it up a couple of days, 7-10 days of 30oc weather and it’s still up! How we, having run it without a pump and with a floating chlorine thing with 20g tablets inside, inevitably over the past couple of days the water has started to turn abit cloudy and it feels a little sludgy/slippery at the bottom.

But, just as I start to look at what I’d need to do to recover it, seems the forecast is changing for over a week of storms with much less humid weather so now just thinking I should drain it.

This got me wondering how to deal with the current water issue, ie is it better to drain the pool the just give everything a hood hose down/dry before packing away, or should I actually deal with the cloudyness to inevitably kill anything in the lining before draining?

I’ve ordered a pump that will be here by the weekend, as well as some ph minus as testing yesterday showed I had high alkalinity and slightly high ph for when I get the pool up again. In hindsight what I never had which would
of avoiding this is a shock solution.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
PoolG

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Sort the cloud before draining?

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 11:32

I would dump the water as I doubt you will get enough equipment to maintain this small occasional use pool
A pump is virtually useless without a filter
If you really want to maintain it. Test strips are commonly called guess strips
You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”