adding bromide turns clear blue to opaque green

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
mcyoungla
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 17,000 gallon fiberglass in ground, sand filter. Infrequently used. Penair pump.

adding bromide turns clear blue to opaque green

Postby mcyoungla » Wed 16 Feb, 2022 12:34

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here. I am opening up the pool for the season - the water is crystal clear blue, a little green algae on the walls easily brushed away. I shocked the pool with calcium hypochlorite, TC up to 10 ppm. I had a lot of trouble with brown/yellow algae last year so decided to do some prevention by adding No-Mor brand bromide solution. I followed the bottle directions for amount. Almost immediately a scum began to form on the surface. Overnight this has developed in to a thick white foam with brown swirls and the water has become opaque green. WTF??? Really? Any suggestions as to what is going on? Many thanks

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: adding bromide turns clear blue to opaque green

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 16 Feb, 2022 13:50

Sorry I am so anti bromide I can't help. I would suggest you get on to No-mor and ask them but they will probably fob you off and say its your water

Switch to chlorine, easier, safer and cheaper.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
mcyoungla
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 17,000 gallon fiberglass in ground, sand filter. Infrequently used. Penair pump.

Postby mcyoungla » Wed 16 Feb, 2022 18:17

Thanks teapot. I use chloride (trichor tabs) as the basic sanitizer. This bromide was specifically added to prevent brown algae developing. Several "yellow out/gone" type products are bromide based.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 17 Feb, 2022 03:05

Ahh, sorry misunderstood. I think you'll find on here and other owners forums TFP etc a considerable kick back on these bromide magic bullets as you are finding they create more issues than they cure. Brown Algae, in most cases isn't and the number of times mustard algae was flagged to me over the years which under my microscope I could see was actually pollen. Do pool shops examine samples? Never, just get another magic cure off the shelves. Chlorine, in the right concentration against CYA will easily destroy and oxidise anything organic out of the pool. It doesnt add other problems requiring more visits to the pool shop for yet more ill informed "advice" and of course yet another purchase.
None of this is helping you right now I understand. What type of filter do you have? If its a sand filter I would suggest jolly gelly or sea klear clarifyer to start to draw out the gunk thats now formed.
Post your water test results so we can take a look but you're going to need a fair bit of liquid chlorine to slowly rid your pool of the bromine compounds now present in the water.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
mcyoungla
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mcyoungla » Thu 17 Feb, 2022 17:32

The foam has now completely gone and the water is much less green. I have no idea what is going on.
mcyoungla
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mcyoungla » Fri 18 Feb, 2022 09:09

This morning the foam is back. Seems to be related to the pump on or off.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 18 Feb, 2022 12:38

That sounds like aeration, is the filter full of water, have you bled any air out?

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”