Desperate cloudy pool

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
brignicho
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30ft above ground. 22,000 gallons.

Desperate cloudy pool

Postby brignicho » Tue 14 Jun, 2022 12:44

We moved into a home this past March with an above ground pool. Never owned a pool before and we've been back and forth to the pool store I can't even tell you how many times over the last 4 weeks. We've flocc'd, phosphate remover, we've shocked countless times, we've done metal free, have a CU Later, iron out (husband saw this on TikTok), new cartridge filter cleaning every other day. We are at the point that shock to raise chlorine kept turning our pool green - the only way to get rid of the green was iron out which leaves it very cloudy but blue. Numbers at last water test:

Total Chlorine - 0.2
Free - 0.2
pH - 7.7
Alk - 124
Calcium Hardness - 396
Stabilizer - 38
Copper iron and phos - 0

I am defeated. Almost to the point of draining and starting from scratch but I'm already hundreds of dollars in. Clarifier does nothing and I know I need to get the chlorine up. HELP PLEASE!!

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Desperate cloudy pool

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 15 Jun, 2022 01:36

Oh dear, so you are learning the hard way that the majority of pool shops no zero except how to palm you off with yet another miracle product.
Moving on, most metal out products are a complete lie, they are just sequestrants that bind the metals but they are degraded by chlorine so you buy more and so the cycle goes on. CUlater does at least remove the metals but only a small amount. That said you are reporting zero copper and iron which maybe true or maybe they evade the test because of sequestration. You should not be using flocculent with a cartridge filter as it will clog the filter cartridges, see what I mean about pool shops!
Yes you need to raise your chlorine to oxidise the cloudiness which together with your filter will begin to clear the water. If your water changes colour again just keep going shock IS NOT a product its a process and you must raise the free chlorine level and hold it there until done. This will oxidise dirt where it can but how good are the cartridge filters will determine how long it takes, the better (finer) the filtration the quicker it clears, I am not a fan of cartridge filters.
Your shock level is around 15ppm of chlorine but I would use liquid chlorine so you dont increase your CYA stabiliser level. Metals tend to drop out of solution above pH8.2 so during shocking the temporary rise in pH can cause this issue but will show up if metals are still present. People have had some success removing metals with polyballs.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”