First time pool owner

Introduce yourself and let us know who you are.
We are happy to have you here!
yonny24
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18,000 litres
Salt
Filter: Volcano VC30
Pump: 0.5 HP
JustChlor J100SC

First time pool owner

Postby yonny24 » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 07:27

Hi all,

Proud owner of our first pool. Moved into a new house (built 2009), swimming pool installed 2011, and just learning the basics as I intend to maintain it myself. The previous owner had it maintained by a company weekly.

About 18,000 litres of salt water. 0.5HP pump with a Volcano sand filter (VC30).
JustChlor J100SC chlorine generator.

Made my first mistake of relying on the reading of the chlor generator to read the salt level!
Readings were low so I added salt. Then bought some salt strips to double check. (I know I should have done it the other way around).

Too much salt now (about 5000) so in the process of diluting it down.

Adjusting pH as it is a little acidic.

Tested the backwash - some dirty water came out through the jets!!
Went to my local supplier.
Changed the multivalve and now it works as it should.

Now I'm suspecting the chlorine generator is not working very well especially considering the output readings are very low. It was installed in 2011.

Thanks

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: First time pool owner

Postby Teapot » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 10:12

Unusual for a salt pool to be acidic, they normally climb the pH ladder.
Salt cell usually lasts about 5-7 years so look to change it. 3000-5000 is near normal salt range unless yours says must be 3000
yonny24
I'm new here
I'm new here
Salt
JustChlor J100SC

Postby yonny24 » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 13:21

Teapot wrote:Unusual for a salt pool to be acidic, they normally climb the pH ladder.
Salt cell usually lasts about 5-7 years so look to change it. 3000-5000 is near normal salt range unless yours says must be 3000

That's what I thought. Using Pentair strips. We did have some torrential storms a couple of weeks ago raising the pool about 2 inches. Possible acidic rain?

The cell produces quite a stream of fine bubbles from the plates while running. So something is happening there.

Also when I moved in about 3 weeks ago the generator main unit was tripped off. No idea how long it was off for.
Reset it and been running fine since.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 15:12

Teapot wrote:Unusual for a salt pool to be acidic, they normally climb the pH ladder.

If you change your SWCG make sure you get one twice the size for your pool
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 02:33

yonny24 wrote:

That's what I thought. Using Pentair strips. We did have some torrential storms a couple of weeks ago raising the pool about 2 inches. Possible acidic rain?

The cell produces quite a stream of fine bubbles from the plates while running. So something is happening there.

Also when I moved in about 3 weeks ago the generator main unit was tripped off. No idea how long it was off for.
Reset it and been running fine since.

The SWCG does produce bubbles which dissipate soon after so it is working
Get some better numbers, strips are pretty useless, even if you have to go to a pool store but your own FAS/DPD kit is best
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
yonny24
I'm new here
I'm new here
Salt
JustChlor J100SC

Postby yonny24 » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 06:30

I had purchased a pH kit with the 15ml Phenol bottle and tube/color matching guide.
First test showed it was <6.8. I added a small amount of pH stabiliser (much less than calculated) then the same test was red with the phenol. Did not make sense with the small amount of PH increaser added. Such a sharp increase? Above 8.0.

I had to go to another pool supplier (for a multivalve) and after talking they said often here in Uruguay the phenol bottles can be very old and produce very inconsistent results.
They recommended the pentair strips. At the moment the strips are showing about 7.0 and consistently. Clorine at about 1.0.

There is not much option of pH kits here. Maybe try to source of new bottle of phenol or rely on the pentair strips? (none are cheap here)

Thanks for the tips
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 10:09

It may be worth importing a Taylor K2006c from the states

Return to “Welcome Aboard”