I am so lost!

Introduce yourself and let us know who you are.
We are happy to have you here!
Bix2021!
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground Intex 32x16x52 Ultra XTR Rectangular pool

I am so lost!

Postby Bix2021! » Fri 28 May, 2021 17:35

I have been trying to read and learn as much as I can but I am still so confused. We are new above ground pool owners it is a Intex 32 x 16 x52 Ultra Rectangular Pool. It is almost full but I have not started with the chemicals yet. I have the Taylor K-2006 test kit, Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda, Muriac Acid and Clorox Pool Chlorine Stabilizer. I am not sure what to add first? I did test to see where the water is. Of course no chlorine. Ph is about an 8 and Alkaline was low took 37 drops. Sorry if this is a stupid post but where do I start? Which do I add first? Thank you.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: I am so lost!

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 29 May, 2021 07:49

I take it you're in the States, what's the temperature like
First of all get some chlorine in it to prevent algae starting then stabilisor up to about 50 which requires 6-8ppm and 4ppm minimum
Use the acid to to get your pH down to about 7.4-7.6
Don't panic about TA but use Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
I'm adding the Slam link so that you have it but won't need it for now
Pool Maths tells you how much you need to add to reach your goal but don't do it all at once as especially with CYA you don't want to overdo it
Interesting reading
Pool School
Slam (Shock Level and Maintain)
Chlorine / CYA Chart
Recommended Pool Levels
Pool Maths
Bix2021!
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Bix2021! » Sat 29 May, 2021 10:17

Thank you for your help. We live in Texas it is already 75 degrees and should get to 80 today.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 30 May, 2021 12:30

Well the chlorine is a must otherwise you will have a pond
I take it that your CYA (stabilisor) is granular. Hang it in a sock over a return to get it to dissolve quickly
Any problems come back, also let us know how you get on
Bix2021!
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Bix2021! » Sun 30 May, 2021 14:40

I have been reading and attempting to test to learn how to use the Taylor Kit. I am still confused about the whole PPM mentioned. I used a pool calculator but am worried what if I did not enter something correctly and then put wrong chemicals. To the best of my ability these are todays readings.
FC - 3.8
No Combined Chlorine noted
PH 7.6
Total Alkalinity I had to add 36 drops so I think that would make it 360
Cyanuric Acid 48
Calcium Hardness 0
The pool calculator recommended 7 1/2 gallons of Muriatic Acid and 3 cups of Chlorine. I did read not to add at the same time. Does that sound right to you? TA does sound very high but that also sound like a lot of Muriatic Acid to me.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 30 May, 2021 16:43

You don't need any calcium with a liner pool
You may need that muriatic acid (MA) to reduce the TA but that would lower your pH quiet a lot
Try the 3 cups of chlorine to get your FC up
CYA is OK
What I would suggest is to take a sample to a pool store to test and compare with your results but don't purchase anything
Use this method to reduce high total alkalinity and use an Aerator to raise pH
I use a large pond aerator
Bix2021!
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Bix2021! » Wed 02 Jun, 2021 19:54

I am going to pool store tomorrow for testing but I am very OCD and want to figure out the pool or not cause harm. It looks terrific! Not cloudy or green. However still concerned about the TA being 275. My FC was 3.0 and PH 7.6 until I added more Acid today. Now FC 2.5 added 4 cups of bleach and will retest tomorrow. PH is now 7.0 and AK still 275. Also what vacuum do you recommend for this big of an above ground pool?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 03 Jun, 2021 02:58

First of all test your tap water to get a benchmark of where you are and are testing correctly (your mains water may be high in TA)
Now the pH is at 7 aerate to raise it (don't add chemicals as it will then yo-yo and you won't get any where)
To aerate I use a large pond aerator but anything that introduces air into the pool water will do
Just get a manual vacuum head on a pole

Return to “Welcome Aboard”