Baquacil problems all the time.

Baquacil, SoftSwim, Revacil, Splashes, Poly Clear. Using these
non-chlorine products and converting from biguanides back to chlorine.
ConfusedinNJ

Postby ConfusedinNJ » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 11:34

Baquacil was being used when we bought this home 17 years ago. Love the Baquacil but not the rising cost each year for chemicals. Have been reading about switching to chlorine but still not sure. Occasionally have problems with pink/green algae but able to take care of it. Last season was the worst as far as cost--the water was crystal clear but every time I went and had the water analyzed they said I had no shock in the pool even after putting it in a couple days before. All other readings were good so we spent a lot of $$$ on shocking the pool about every week or two. Could never figure out why no shock in the pool. Started to wonder about the place that was testing it. Considering converting to Chlorine but I'm still not convinced after reading testimonies. Any advice out there?

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 14:26

"not convinced after reading testimonies"? What specifically are you concerned about? There are tens of thousands of pool owners reporting on multiple pool forums in addition to this one including Trouble Free Pool and The Pool Forum who almost all have chlorine pools that they maintain algae free and sanitary mostly using chlorine alone at low cost. The vast majority of the 8 million pools in the U.S. use chlorine as their disinfectant. The key is to use a sufficient Free Chlorine (FC) level relative to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level.

Some have automated systems including saltwater chlorine generators (SWG) or The Liquidator or peristaltic pumps while others manually dose chlorine regularly, from every day or two to twice a week.
grandchildren13

Postby grandchildren13 » Wed 13 Jul, 2011 12:37

I have had a problem with test strips showing no oxid this year. No one recommended using the cdx regime at start up, recently I put in 2 pts cdx oxidizer into my 10000 gal pool and it appears to have helped. I too was using a full gallon of Baqua Shock often--costly! On the plus side the pool has the original liner and it is now 20 yrs old.
Tulsa Gunite/plaster pool

Postby Tulsa Gunite/plaster pool » Wed 13 Jun, 2012 14:47

We've been giving everthing our best shots and best hopes of using Baquacil.
Starting-up with zero chlorine, clear light blue water and testing frequently with test strips and Dolphin pools lab, we found the water turning a light green after 3 days following the instructions on the containers
of the Baquacil steps 1,2+3. We've appled Baquacil sanitzers, oxidizers, algecides, metal controls, ph adjusters, chlorine neutralizers, chemically cleaning our cartridge filters, running the pump continually,
brushing and vacuuming 4 times, using a polaris pool cleaner, flocking and utilizing over 8 different advised cures. I wanted to be a Baquacil fan but it shouldn't be this difficult. Now we have "scaring spots" all over our Gunite/plaster pool. Help!
Making numerous calls to the Baquacil hot line and Dolphin pools begging for help.
They've even been consulting the president of Baquacil and chief chemists, but no one has been able to cure our, OVER $730.00 CLEAR LIME GREEN PROBLEM.
It has been more than SIX WEEKS AND WE STILL HAVE THE CLEAR LIME GREEN WATER.
Can any one help?
Tulsa Gunite/plaster pool

Postby Tulsa Gunite/plaster pool » Wed 13 Jun, 2012 14:47

We've been giving everthing our best shots and best hopes of using Baquacil.
Starting-up with zero chlorine, clear light blue water and testing frequently with test strips and Dolphin pools lab, we found the water turning a light green after 3 days following the instructions on the containers
of the Baquacil steps 1,2+3. We've appled Baquacil sanitzers, oxidizers, algecides, metal controls, ph adjusters, chlorine neutralizers, chemically cleaning our cartridge filters, running the pump continually,
brushing and vacuuming 4 times, using a polaris pool cleaner, flocking and utilizing over 8 different advised cures. I wanted to be a Baquacil fan but it shouldn't be this difficult. Now we have "scaring spots" all over our Gunite/plaster pool. Help!
Making numerous calls to the Baquacil hot line and Dolphin pools begging for help.
They've even been consulting the president of Baquacil and chief chemists, but no one has been able to cure our, OVER $730.00 CLEAR LIME GREEN PROBLEM.
It has been more than SIX WEEKS AND WE STILL HAVE THE CLEAR LIME GREEN WATER.
Can any one help?

Postby Guest » Fri 29 Jun, 2012 22:14

If you have water mold, you need to complete several steps in order to rid your pool of it. First step is to add a product called Line Clear from Baquacil. The generic form is potassium monopersulfate, sometimes called non-chlorine shock. Depending on the size of the pool, 2 to 4 pounds added slowly to the skimmer with the pump running. That will clear the plumbing lines of the water mold. Then add a Baquacil product called CDX wich inhibits an enzyme the mold produces that uses up the Oxidizer. Add the Oxidizer in front of the skimmer, then add the CDX in front of the skimmer. Brush the pool, clean the skimmers and pump basket. Brush everyting in the pool that might have water mold on it, ladders, steps, everything. After it clears, either clean your sand filter to remove it from the sand bed or replace the sand. I recommend replacing the sand.

You will continue to use CDX with Oxidizer to prevent another outbreak of water mold, throughout the season. It is very effective.
jkeimer

Postby jkeimer » Wed 04 Jul, 2012 09:23

I have been a Baquacil user since about 1986. I worked in the pool industry for a time in a retail establishment. My pool was the "guinea pig" to see the user's side experience with the product. BTW, I have not been in the pool business since 1990. In all these years I have never had issues, until perhaps the last three or so. I have to agree with others that the shock gets eaten very quickly. I noticed on the test strips that there is not a "normal" level for shock either. It's either no shock or add maintenance dose. But it seems that when the water temp goes above 80 we get algae. I'm not sure if it's the product, but I'm considering converting back to chlorine after this long marriage to Baquacil. Does anyone else have this issue? 18x33AG with Hayward EC 40 DE filter and 1hp pump. Albany, NY

Postby Guest » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 18:20

Same problems here. I had great luck the first 3 years on Bacquicil. Last year and this...crazy. Have spend literally hundreds of dollars on chemicals, get the water tested all the time. They say my water balance is perfect...REALLY?? Then why is it pea soup green and I can't see the bottom? Have swiched out sand for the second time THIS SEASON. Pool store has no explanation or guidance to offer. I wish there was an easy answer response on how to fix. Tired of throwing money in the pool and not enjoying it.

Postby Guest » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 18:22

oh yeah, on post above, also added CDX with no result.........
ellie855

Postby ellie855 » Thu 04 Jul, 2013 09:35

Oh---don't tell us we aren't maintaining right because I do--like most said---first few years were great--last year it was the pink algae--this year it is the green algae--nothing seems to be working....I have a family reunion in two weeks and am ready to switch out to chlorine just to get it clear again!!!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 04 Jul, 2013 14:06

What do you want us to say? Baquacil is known to be difficult. It starts out OK, but then becomes more likely to develop white water mold or other problems. Using sufficient oxidizer (hydrogen peroxide) can help, but for many people they need to change their water to get things back in shape. It's an expensive system. Chlorine properly used is far less expensive and won't have problems if the Free Chlorine (FC) level is kept at no lower than 7.5% of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. If you want to convert, you can read how to Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine and read the hundreds of conversions in this forum.
VA Girl

Postby VA Girl » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 07:24

We are 1st time pool owners and use Baquacil. Bought this home last spring, so this is 2nd year we've used it. (Previous owners told us they switched from chlorine 3 years before we purchased.). We've zero problems whatsoever. Last year the sellers got the pool ready for us (we moved in July 1), so we winterized ourselves in the fall and were completely surprised to find a crystal clear pool once we uncovered it in May. More surprised to find it only cost $60 in chemicals to shock it and get the water ready for swimming. :o

We vacuum regularly and don't backwash unless the pressure gets close to 20. Use the algae killer stuff once per week (2 oz) and when in the pool scrub around the sides although there is no algae because we were told its good for the pool/keeps the bloom away. Maybe we spend up to $100 a month in chemicals? I don't mind though because I hate the smell of chlorine and it dries my skin. It's worth a few extra dollars to have clean feeling water that the water bugs and little frogs also swim in which is so cool!

We are in the woods, but the pool in full sun all day long until about 6pm. We have well water...not sure that helps or hurts in the upkeep. We will continue using Baquacil because we feel CLEAN when we come out of the pool instead of like we need a shower (as with chlorine). All that to say I'm sure it's all down to what one likes best. Other people I know use baking soda type methods or otherwise and are happy.

Return to “Baquacil, Biguanides and PHMB”