high TA low pH

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
backlit
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: intex 18x9x52 vinyl
filter: intex krystal clear sand filter (1050 gallons/hr) SF90110T
skimmer: intex deluxe wall mount surface skimmer

high TA low pH

Postby backlit » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 15:08

Hello All,
This pool stuff is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be... :shock:

I just got an intex 18x9x52 (4545 gallon) vinyl pool about two weeks ago for my birthday. The local pool store told me to put in about 1/2 gallon of chlorine + 1/2 gallon of stabilizer to open the pool. My kids and I have been swimming pretty much every night since then. So that's a bather load of 3-4 people for the last two weeks. I've been running the filter for about 12hrs/day.

So, I've been trying to do the test strips to keep an eye on things, but I haven't done anything "intentional" to modify/adjust the pool chem. I just picked up a taylor 2006 complete test to get a "better" account of where the chem stands. Here's what I got after testing last night:

Temp: 84F
TH: 250
TC: 10
FC: 10
pH: 7.0
TA: 210
CYA: 40

From what I can tell my TA is at least 110ppm to high and I should try and bring my ph up to 7.5 at least. But now I'm stumped... If I add Borax, it'll raise my pH but also raise my already high TA, right? If I use Muriatic acid to lower the TA, it'll lower the already low pH, right?

Anyway, it's probably clear that I have no idea what to do and I could really use some help. Do I add Borax or Muriatic acid, and in general, which should I try to address first, pH or TA? Also, is that high chlorine going to bother anything, or is it okay to live with?

Thanks a bunch!!!

btw: here's what the pool calculator says I should do:
Given TA of 210 and Borate of 0:
Add 32 oz by weight or 28 oz by volume of washing soda or soda ash
or add 63 oz by weight or 60 oz by volume of borax.
Add 0 of muriatic acid
or add 0 by weight or 0 by volume of dry acid.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: high TA low pH

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 03:34

Just raise the PH by aeration http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/129-how-to-lower-lowering-total-alkalinity I use a large pond aerator but you can adjust your return jets to spray in the air
This is how most of us pool enthusiast's control PH and TA
Your high chlorine will dissipate quickly
Your CA is OK
When you have raised your PH you can lower your TA and PH with Muriatic acid then aerate again
Continue untill you reach your desired level

Return to “BBB Pool Care”