Corrosion?

Postby Pool_Fool » Mon 11 Jul, 2005 17:16

My:
Tot Alk is 140
Calc Hardness is 290
Temp Apx 83 F
Cy Acid 35
PH (this morn) 8.0

I know the PH is high and will lower it with acid this afternoon. It has tended to be high after converting to salt pool. But from what I understand high PH is not a concern for corrosion to pool surfaces. (My Saturation index is +.7. I thought a minus was corrosive.) Yet, since installing the salt system my ph climbs to the high side and my pool surface (plaster) seems to be deteriorating. The directly out from the jet at the shallow end of the pool is where the greying at the bottom is the worst. Every morning there is the same type of "crumbs" or flecks of whitish materials.
Here are pictures of my pool as of a few weeks ago.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kahana_bay/my_photos

I need a wizard!!!!

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Scaling

Postby Larry » Wed 28 Dec, 2005 03:45

Answer posted in other thread.
Dawany

Plastic pool corrosion??

Postby Dawany » Tue 03 Jan, 2006 12:33

Simple question from a first time pool owner.

I have a plastic over ground swiming pool. It has a water capacity of 3300 litres. Free chlorine is around 0.5 ppm, pH is 8.4, total alkalinity is around 240, and Stabiliser (cyanuric acid) is betwenn 80-100.

To control the water chemistry can I add acid? What type of acid? Will it not corrode the plastic walls of the pool?

....brrr... never thought that it could become a complicated thing to have a pool...

Thanks for your help,
Pool Helper

Pool water chemistry

Postby Pool Helper » Tue 03 Jan, 2006 16:30

Your pH of 8.4 is very high and so the chlorine you add cannot work effectively at all. The recommended range is 7.0 - 7.6 . Your alkalinity is also extremely high which will push your pH up all the time.

Adding acid will not "corrode" the pool. It will actually lengthen the life of the plastic by ensuring a more neutral water. Due to your high alk level, you should aim for a pH of 7.0 - 7.2 .

To be sure of not damaging the pool surface, dilute the acid in a bucket of water before slowly adding to your pool. Check the pH at least 2 or 3 times a week as it will tend to shoot up until the alk level drops.

Read more about total alkalinity in swimming pools.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”