PURPLE WATER

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
CHAZZZZ

PURPLE WATER

Postby CHAZZZZ » Fri 16 Jun, 2006 11:20

WATER WAS FINE SUDDENLY ,OVERNITE IT WENT PURPLE ABOVE GRND 20X12X4 WELL WATER HAD LOTS OF RAIN ???BAFFELED

Re: PURPLE WATER

Postby Guest » Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:15

CHAZZZZ wrote:WATER WAS FINE SUDDENLY ,OVERNITE IT WENT PURPLE ABOVE GRND 20X12X4 WELL WATER HAD LOTS OF RAIN ???BAFFELED

I have been told that adding too much total alkalinity increaser at on time will turn your water purple. Try adding it in smaller doses, such as 5lbs per day. Check your alkalinity in between doses to make sure you don't increase too much.
kamkuda
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby kamkuda » Mon 04 Sep, 2006 09:28

Purple water is from Manganese. Find a pool store that tests for manganese. It is a unusual situation and few stores will normally test for it or have the ability to do so.
waterlog

Purple water

Postby waterlog » Mon 04 Sep, 2006 13:53

We've got the same purple problem. Pool store told us it was phosphates. I'm not so sure. The manganese issue seems to be a better explanation. Will adding pH increaser eliminate the problem?
kamkuda
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby kamkuda » Wed 06 Sep, 2006 18:05

Phospates will not cause a purple issue. Phospates can cause higher requirement for chlorine.
A pH change will not help, it may infact stain the pool surface.
You need a sequestering agent like Pool Magnet. It will tie up the metals so that they can be removed. Be sure to keep your chlorine level low when you are removing the metals.
twain220
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: Purple water

Postby twain220 » Mon 07 May, 2007 17:37

waterlog wrote:We've got the same purple problem. Pool store told us it was phosphates. I'm not so sure. The manganese issue seems to be a better explanation. Will adding pH increaser eliminate the problem?
add a bottle of metal out, vacuum the next day and then see what happens....

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”